This discussion is closed.
2000rules
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys!
I just sat my gcses this summer and am waiting for my results. I wish to study medicine in the uk. When should I start preparing for bmat and ukcat?
Thank you!
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 2000rules)
Hey guys!
I just sat my gcses this summer and am waiting for my results. I wish to study medicine in the uk. When should I start preparing for bmat and ukcat?
Thank you!
It's way too early to be thinking about them right now. For now, concentrate on your A-Levels. The UKCAT is done sometime in the summer after year 12 (you can choose the date) and the BMAT is done in November of year 13, should you chose to do it.
2000rules
Rep:
?
(Original post by usycool1)
It's way too early to be thinking about them right now. For now, concentrate on your A-Levels. The UKCAT is done sometime in the summer after year 12 (you can choose the date) and the BMAT is done in November of year 13, should you chose to do it.
to give the exams in the times mentioned above by you, when should i start preparing and how much is the content in the both ukcat and bmat?
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Report 5 years ago
to give the exams in the times mentioned above by you, when should i start preparing and how much is the content in the both ukcat and bmat?
Everyone has different opinions on how much they should revise for the UKCAT/BMAT. Personally, I think only about 2-3 weeks or so should be sufficient for the UKCAT and about a month or two should be fine for the BMAT. They're both very strange tests and don't have much content really - it's just about practising the techniques. For the BMAT, you require science knowledge but that's only really GCSE science but the questions aren't easy.
2000rules
Rep:
?
(Original post by usycool1)
Everyone has different opinions on how much they should revise for the UKCAT/BMAT. Personally, I think only about 2-3 weeks or so should be sufficient for the UKCAT and about a month or two should be fine for the BMAT. They're both very strange tests and don't have much content really - it's just about practising the techniques. For the BMAT, you require science knowledge but that's only really GCSE science but the questions aren't easy.
thank you
mliela
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys!
Thank you!
You'll probably sit your UKCAT summer after year twelve so July to September 2017. And your BMAT will be in the beginning of November 2017. Wait till the exam season is finished in year twelve before worrying about UKCAT. You only need around four weeks but it varies for each individual. As for BMAT. Wait until around September to start thinking about it and preparing. Spend the next year focusing on your grades and ways to improve your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UniAdmissions
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys!
Thank you!
Hi 2000rules

As others have already said, you would sit your UKCAT and BMAT next Summer (2017) for 2018 entry.

Your UKCAT can be taken between July and October so you can decide when you would prefer to sit the exam. It is worth considering when you will have the most time to prepare for it. Some people prefer a date late in the summer so that school work is out of the way and their focus can be solely on preparing for the UKCAT. It is worth bearing in mind that if you go for a date late in September, you will be back at school by then.

You will take your BMAT in November of the same year, so it is a good idea to start your preparation for that once you have finished with your UKCAT.

So, in short, you don't need to start preparing until next Summer, but it is fantastic that you already have it mind.

Do give us a shout when you get to that point... always happy to help where we can.

UniAdmissions
Maude-sarah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I'm currently studying for the UKCAT. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mliela
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maude-sarah)

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my opinion MEDIFY is one of the best resources. A two or three week subscription should do. Just try and practice as much as you can. But also reflect on what you do. Whether timing is the issue or the style of questions. You just need to be able to work fast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maude-sarah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
UniAdmissions
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maude-sarah)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Maude-sarah

My advice is to set aside a few hours to study each day in the weeks leading up to your UKCAT, this could be done using the resources that you have on your own or as part of a course.

Make sure that the resources that you are using are the most up to date and comprehensive available as this can vary largely.

Do you have your test date booked?

Do let me know if you have any more questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys!
Thank you!
Hey 2000rules !

Well done for making it through your GCSEs - we've got our fingers crossed for your results!

You don't need to worry about preparing for the UKCAT or BMAT just yet, but it's great that you're already thinking about these tests and are aware of them both.

The UKCAT is usually taken the summer before you submit your UCAS application, so in the summer after your AS level year i.e. after year 12 (before year 13) or in the summer after you finish school if you're taking a gap year.

You have to sit the UKCAT first. This test can be taken only once per application cycle. It can be taken at any point from when registration for it opens around the start of July and ends in the start of October each year.

Generally, applicants revise for the UKCAT during their summer holidays, and some start a month before their booked test date.

The BMAT is sat in the start of November usually. So you can start revising for it once you've completed the UKCAT!

In general, it is advised that you think about applying to 2 or 3 UKCAT universities and 2 or 1 BMAT universities respectively. This is so that if you don't do as well in the UKCAT over the summer, you've got the BMAT as a backup!

We hope this helps,
The Medic Portal
2000rules
Rep:
?
(Original post by UniAdmissions)
Hi 2000rules

As others have already said, you would sit your UKCAT and BMAT next Summer (2017) for 2018 entry.

Your UKCAT can be taken between July and October so you can decide when you would prefer to sit the exam. It is worth considering when you will have the most time to prepare for it. Some people prefer a date late in the summer so that school work is out of the way and their focus can be solely on preparing for the UKCAT. It is worth bearing in mind that if you go for a date late in September, you will be back at school by then.

You will take your BMAT in November of the same year, so it is a good idea to start your preparation for that once you have finished with your UKCAT.

So, in short, you don't need to start preparing until next Summer, but it is fantastic that you already have it mind.

Do give us a shout when you get to that point... always happy to help where we can.

UniAdmissions
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. 😊
2000rules
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Medic Portal)
Hey 2000rules !

Well done for making it through your GCSEs - we've got our fingers crossed for your results!

You don't need to worry about preparing for the UKCAT or BMAT just yet, but it's great that you're already thinking about these tests and are aware of them both.

The UKCAT is usually taken the summer before you submit your UCAS application, so in the summer after your AS level year i.e. after year 12 (before year 13) or in the summer after you finish school if you're taking a gap year.

You have to sit the UKCAT first. This test can be taken only once per application cycle. It can be taken at any point from when registration for it opens around the start of July and ends in the start of October each year.

Generally, applicants revise for the UKCAT during their summer holidays, and some start a month before their booked test date.

The BMAT is sat in the start of November usually. So you can start revising for it once you've completed the UKCAT!

In general, it is advised that you think about applying to 2 or 3 UKCAT universities and 2 or 1 BMAT universities respectively. This is so that if you don't do as well in the UKCAT over the summer, you've got the BMAT as a backup!

We hope this helps,
The Medic Portal
Thanks a lot!!
UniAdmissions
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. 😊
You're very welcome!

UniAdmissions
Pinkberry_y
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
UKCAT- One month before you sit the test. The first 2 weeks, I would say 3-4 hours a day, quite gentle paced, spread out. Then 2 weeks before the test really start doing timed online tests and practicing lots of questions again and again. A week before the test do even up to 6 hours a day if you have to. Basically spend as long as you need on each section. If you find a section hard spend more time on it, if you find a section easy, spend less time.
BMAT- So your test is in October right? Start doing the science revision from mid/end of august onwards and start doing essay practice about 2 weeks before the test. Section 1- practice whenever you have free time about 1 month before the exam
TheMouseyS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1 Month is ideal. First 2 weeks, familiarise yourself with the format and questions and then in the final 2 weeks go pretty intensively, doing questions under timed conditions until you start seeing a marked improvement. Don't be disheartened at first if you're not doing so well, the more you do (and do loads!) you'll definitely see an improvement! Final week, do the practice tests on the official website.

My main adivice is doing it under timed conditions as time is your greatest enemy in the UKCAT, not so much the BMAT. My friends who insisted on sitting at the desk trying to work out each and every question really didn't do well - if you don't get what a questions getting at within say 10s for abstract reasoning, move on!

Also, I highly recommend Medify for practice as it completely simulates the actually test in format, question type and difficulty for the most part. It's not great for decision analysis though, but I hear they've now replaced DA with decision making?? I've no idea what that entails.

Finally, the 600 questions book (I think it's 600?) from ISC is utter shitee, don't bother with it as its either way too difficult in some sections or way too easy in others and is really outdated now. The format of the test has changed a lot since it was published!

Good luck!
NoMSGplease
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People prepare in different ways because they have different ways to learn. But generally I would say:

1 - It will take 3 weeks or so to get yourself to the right level where you can confidently do the exercises, understanding what is required and finding the techniques that suit you.

2 - It is best to do a little bit every day rather than hours every day because it is quite boring in the long run and it will seriously do your head in.

3 - You should start with untimed practice and then move to timed when you get to about 10 days before the exam.

4 - Don't waste your time with Decision Making as that section is not marked this year.

5 - Expect your first few mock exams to reveal low scores. It happens to all of us.

There are several resources available. The official UKCAT questions on ukcat.ac.uk are obviously very valuable and I would suggest you do one test at the beginning to get an idea and keep the rest for the end of your prep.

TheMouseS is right to say that the ISC 600Q book is out of date. A new version with 1000Q was published this year which is fully up to date and many people use it to acquire the techniques. But it is harder than the real exam and so you should use it for your untimed practice.

For your timed practice, most people use Medify. Just get a 2-week subscription. That should be sufficient.
The Medic Portal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks a lot!!
agahaga
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys!
Thank you!
odds on start preparing now 1-3
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads