Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, this is what I'm trying to eat daily. I'm exercising (on a cross trainer) for roughly 80 minutes per day (40 minutes per day if I can't exercise in the morning) so obviously I'm trying to lose a bit o' weight, uni hath made a fatter student of me, so I'm just checking that my diet isn't bad.

Every morning I'm having either:

Weetabix mini's OR (usually) porridge oats (with mainly water/ little bit o milk, no sugar)

lunch: banana OR cucumber sandwich (wholemeal bread)
    tea: I get a bit stuck on options for tea as I don't really cook. Last night I had soup with prawn sandwiches in wholemeal. The night before that my mum made some gordon ramsey carrot and veg low fat pie thing... tasted quite nice. No gravy, but it had red wine in it.

Anyway I'm sure this has been posted before but I feel it's a topic that should probably be reiterated every so often anyway. Dietry advice welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insincere Dave)
    Hi guys, this is what I'm trying to eat daily. I'm exercising (on a cross trainer) for roughly 80 minutes per day (40 minutes per day if I can't exercise in the morning) so obviously I'm trying to lose a bit o' weight, uni hath made a fatter student of me, so I'm just checking that my diet isn't bad.

Every morning I'm having either:

Weetabix mini's OR (usually) porridge oats (with mainly water/ little bit o milk, no sugar)

lunch: banana OR cucumber sandwich (wholemeal bread)
    tea: I get a bit stuck on options for tea as I don't really cook. Last night I had soup with prawn sandwiches in wholemeal. The night before that my mum made some gordon ramsey carrot and veg low fat pie thing... tasted quite nice. No gravy, but it had red wine in it.

Anyway I'm sure this has been posted before but I feel it's a topic that should probably be reiterated every so often anyway. Dietry advice welcome.
    Go down to McDonalds. They have a wide range and even claim to be healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shreerac27)
    Go down to McDonalds. They have a wide range and even claim to be healthy.
    Maybe for one of the small bags of fruit they do but I don't think I'd risk anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Your meals look fine but I'd say maybe add a couple of things to your lunch like a yogurt or something. Also if you're stuck on things to eat for dinner, Sainsbury's Be Good To Yourself range is really good. Most the stuff I eat for dinner comes from that range. I also tend to have some kind of veg for dinner, cherry tomatoes are great because the count as 1 portion of your 5 a day per 80 grams.

ReputationRep:
    While I'm not a diet or exercise expert, it seems like you could do with adding a bit more protein to that diet. Lean meats and beans and the such.

:ditto: For dinner you could have chicken and veg/potatoes etc. your diet is lacking protein.

ReputationRep:
    1200 cals a day,high protein.
    6 meals of 200 every 3 hours.
    lots of water.
    gym 4/5 times a week.
    an hour per session, build a sweat,none of this walking bull****. vary your workout, ie 15 mins on different machines.
    sleep.
    willpower.
    effort.
    the fat will melt off.
    good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1sun)
    1200 cals a day,high protein.
    6 meals of 200 every 3 hours.
    lots of water.
    gym 4/5 times a week.
    an hour per session, build a sweat,none of this walking bull****. vary your workout, ie 15 mins on different machines.
    sleep.
    willpower.
    effort.
    the fat will melt off.
    good luck.
    Just out of interest, why is 6 meals a day better than say 3?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people on here think it's 'the norm' to eat 6 small meals, and that everybody has the time and practicality to do it. It aint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shreerac27)
    Just out of interest, why is 6 meals a day better than say 3?
    Because you're supplying your body with essential macronutrients every 2 hours, so you aren't ever in a catabolic state.

ReputationRep:
    The 6 small meals is fine but you can do it eating 3 meals a day, I've lost two stone the 3 meal way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_hamster)
    The 6 small meals is fine but you can do it eating 3 meals a day, I've lost two stone the 3 meal way.
    Fancy sharing any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't look like you're eating very much. How about thinking of them as snacks, not meals. I would eat a lot more lean meat as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insincere Dave)
    Fancy sharing any tips?
    I've just been eating three sensible meals day. Cereal for breakfast, lunch is a sandwich and plenty of fruit and for dinner I normally have something from the BGTY range or fish/ chicken etc. I also have vegetables with my dinner.
    Exercise wise I go to the gym four times a week for about 90 minutes. I cycle pretty much everywhere.
    It's pretty much common sense information but all the above has really helped. The other big help has been this site. It's helped me calculate my calories plus my exercise calories. I've just been doing loads of 3 day trials which is allowed.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Three months, I've still got one stone to go though.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to eat six meals a day, but if you're dedicated it's proven to be the most efficient way of losing fat.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.