Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm in a bit of dilemma here and I would really appreaciate some help.

I finished my first year as a Computer Science student at Coventry University with an average of 71% and I have the possibility to transfer to either Leeds University or Uni of Leicester. Those are the following programs:

BSc Applied Computer Science - University of Leeds
    BSc Computer Science - University of Leicester

I know that both are better universities than Coventry but the thing is that the CS program at Leeds has "Applied" in front of it
    I am currently an offer holder for the program and I'm a bit worried that if I graduate with an ACS degree I will be at a disadvantage when applying for software dev-related jobs because I've heard that the Applied route is just a fancy name for the former Information Technology degree and is tailored towards maintaining computer systems, not designing them....

My question is, should I transfer to a Russel Group uni for an "Applied" Computer Science degree or should I stay at Coventry University and pursue a regular BSc Computer Science degree?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    the modules are the same as the normal cs degree

ReputationRep:
    You know, today, 'Russel group' uni's don't really make much difference when applying to jobs. With computer science, a technical course, it's far better to look at the modules of the courses and see which interests you the most. I had a choice between a few uni's CS course, one being UoLeicester too, I went for a lower ranked one (however ranked higher this year for CS in guardian) because the modules were more interesting to me. That's just my advice, I didn't like UoL module choice particularly in the second year with mandatory modules like mulltimedia and computer graphics, however that may be something that interests you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.