Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have devised my own weights programme, and the goal is to work at it over summer and hopefully start seeing results by the end of the 8 weeks. I was hoping to see what alterations/recommendations people would make to my programme to make it better.

Monday

Chest Exercises
    Bench Press 12 sets of 15 repetitions, 2 minutes rest between each set

Biceps

Inclined seated curls 3
    Concentration curls 3 sets, 15 repetitions (Both arms) 1 minute rest in-between sets
    Alternating Hammer Curls 3 sets, 15 repetitions,1 minute rest in-between sets
    Cross Body Dumbbell Hammer Curl 3 sets, 30 repetitions each set, 1 minute rest in-between sets

Tuesday

Shoulders

Shoulder press with dumbbells
    Sets: 4
    Repetitions: 15 - 10 - 8 - 8

Standing Dumbbell Upright Row

Dumbbell Deltoid Lateral Raises

Triceps

Tricep kickbacks
    Sets: 6
    Repetitions: 15 – 10 -10 - 8 – 8 -8

Dumbbell Extensions
    Sets: 6
    Repetitions: 15 – 10 -10 - 8 – 8 -8

I'm going to stick with that then repeat it over the course of the week. Any suggestions/alterations for my programme anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You're doing one exercise for Chest, but you're doing four different exercises for a really small muscle group? (Biceps.)

I think you have to read over basic articles again before you can make your own routine. This routine has too many sets, Too many reps, and because of the former, The weight will be too light.

Go for 6-7 sets per muscle group, and a muscle group a day. Rep range 4-8, or similar.

ReputationRep:
    Kickbacks aren't exactly a great exercise. How about close-grip bench and dips for triceps?

When are you doing legs and back?

Have a look at Bill Starr's 5x5, it's very simple and VERY effective.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

Even if you don't use bill starrs 5 x 5 or ripptoes starting strength then get some squats and leg presses in your routine sharpish, merely saying I walk alot or play ladyball is not a valid excuse. They are a pain in the arse, buh-dum-tish, but more or less essential to a good program.

ReputationRep:
    yea its just complete ****, do starting strength over the summer to learn some basic aspects of weight lifting, and read and read everything you can.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

ReputationRep:
    try the 20 rep squats in another thread :p:
    seroiusly tho

monday - chest + tri's
    flat bench x 3
    incline dumbells x 3
    dips x 3
    peck flies x 3
    skull crushes x 3

wednesday - back
    dead lifts x 3
    bent over rows x 3
    wide grip chin ups (weighted if you can) x 3
    cable row x 3
    maybe finish off with some hammer curls but tbh bi's should be finished from back exercises

Friday - legs + shoulders
    Squats x 4
    shoulder press x 3
    calf raises x 4
    lateral raises (feel the burn ) x 3

eat plenty say aim for 1g protein per pound of body weight and around 3000 carbs a day

or wait for meathead to bring u up a routine
    the one you have atm is all upper body

ReputationRep:
    The 20 rep squat is the worst program i've ever seen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    The 20 rep squat is the worst program i've ever seen
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm describes it, probably

ReputationRep:
    lmao - when you can do 20 squats come back and tell me if it didn;t hurt for the next three days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbobmarley)
    lmao - when you can do 20 squats come back and tell me if it didn;t hurt for the next three days
    Lol, I know what Squats are like.. And what you get after the first time is called a 'Potty flop', son.

ReputationRep:
    If uve got a regular trainin partner who u can trust to spot u, then i imagine doing 20rep squats once in 2 weeks or along those line would be a good thing. Im wondering if, like myself, u train alone, and tried it with the leg press, i wonder how the results would compare with Squats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frio3535)
    If uve got a regular trainin partner who u can trust to spot u, then i imagine doing 20rep squats once in 2 weeks or along those line would be a good thing. Im wondering if, like myself, u train alone, and tried it with the leg press, i wonder how the results would compare with Squats?
    Leg Press is more isolated.. Squat is compound and you're at threshold, all the weight is ontop of you. Very tough on the CNS.

ReputationRep:
    leg press does your legs

squats do your legs, shoulders, back, stomach
    just about every muscle ther is, that is why it builds mass so quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    Leg Press is more isolated.. Squat is compound and you're at threshold, all the weight is ontop of you. Very tough on the CNS.
    Yeh thats all good mate but i knew that, im just interested in muscle growth, obv the Squat is the better choice, but im wonderin by how much? Quite tempted to try tbh.
    Also its Squats are tough on the respiratory system. Ive heard that Squats make u fitter? Not sure if its true, havent tested it or anything.

ReputationRep:
    look at my post above

squats aid muscle growth as it targets every area in your body -
    doing 20 reps on the leg press will just be like doing legs with more reps

you could try it, it would certainly get the blood pumping but you wouldn't see any upper body gains as with the squats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbobmarley)
    leg press does your legs

squats do your legs, shoulders, back, stomach
    just about every muscle ther is, that is why it builds mass so quickly
    Squat or Deadlift? Which is the better mass builder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frio3535)
    Yeh thats all good mate but i knew that, im just interested in muscle growth, obv the Squat is the better choice, but im wonderin by how much? Quite tempted to try tbh.
    Also its Squats are tough on the respiratory system. Ive heard that Squats make u fitter? Not sure if its true, havent tested it or anything.
    Leg Press will train your quads and glutes, that's it. So squats are a whole different ball game. That's what I meant and that's obviously what you missed out on.. Don't try it.

Squats are tough on everything.

ReputationRep:
    Oooo i would say squats...

i mean you should do deadlifts and maybe the 20 rep programme doesn;t allow for them but you should never do 20 reps

dead lifts are taken very slowly anyway like 1 rep then second or 5 break then the next one so i dont think 20 reps of squats would be good, maybe too much back strain ??

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna go for deads, cos they use all the muscles that Squats do, aswell as arms and forearms. I reckon it recruits more muscles, but im not to sure regarding how much of each fiber type etc which would determine growth.

One thing is for sure, both do my waist no favours lol

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.