The Student Room Group

Too late for GEM?

I've just graduated with a 2.1 in biomedical science and want to apply for GEM for 2017 entry. Is it too late to start the prep? I'd take the gamsat and ukcat. In terms of work experience I haven't got a lot but am planning to volunteer regularly and also get some hospital/gp shadowing done.

Am I being too unrealistic? I know it's very competitive already but if I do well in ukcat/gamsat maybe there's a chance?

Any advice/opinions would be helpful. I know I'm dreaming a bit here but I've only just realised I want to apply.
If you meet the entry requirements and have the required work experience you'll be fine.
Original post by idungoofed
I've just graduated with a 2.1 in biomedical science and want to apply for GEM for 2017 entry. Is it too late to start the prep? I'd take the gamsat and ukcat. In terms of work experience I haven't got a lot but am planning to volunteer regularly and also get some hospital/gp shadowing done.

Am I being too unrealistic? I know it's very competitive already but if I do well in ukcat/gamsat maybe there's a chance?

Any advice/opinions would be helpful. I know I'm dreaming a bit here but I've only just realised I want to apply.

it will be a bit tight to squeeze a lot of work experience and ukcat/gamsat in the next 2 months but its definitely possible. i would start booking the tests and start contacting charities and hospitals asap, getting volunteering/shadowing experience can take quite some time to sort out paperwork and checks. if you are fully committed to medicine then definitely go for it - worst case scenario is you dont get in this year, which will give you good experience for next cycle.
Reply 3
The UCAS deadline is October 15th, so by no means are you too late to apply for GEM.

With regards admissions tests, it is not too late to book onto any of the UKCAT, GAMSAT and BMAT, but you may feel you choosing only one test will allow you to better prepare for that test (Late registration for the GAMSAT closes on August 14th so you've got to decide soon whether or not you want to sit that test).

As a biomed student you would probably need to work on your essay skills for the GAMSAT. But, this would not be required for the BMAT or UKCAT.

Just FYI, here is a list of which admissions test is required for each GEM course:

Barts - UKCAT
Birmingham - UKCAT
Cambridge - no test
Cardiff - only accept people from their 4 feeder courses
Imperial - BMAT
KCL - UKCAT
Liverpool - GAMSAT
Newcastle - UKCAT
Nottingham - GAMSAT
Oxford - BMAT
Southampton - UKCAT
St Georges - GAMSAT
Swansea - GAMSAT
Warwick - UKCAT

Also, for work experience, try exploring any avenues you may have of doing some relevant voluntary work that wouldn't require a DBS check, as this will slow you down. Try walking into local care homes, and some may allow you to do certain non-invasive duties without a DBS check, meaning you will be able to start right away.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending