Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Over the summer, I want to try and revise over a few things because i'm not going out on holiday or anything so might as well get a head start. First of all,it's been two weeks sine we broke off and I've done nothing-literally. So far, I've re read harry potter, caught up on my shows and well that's it. When I do eventually find the motivation to revise, I wanted to know the best way to effectively study (well i'm not going to proper hardcore revise or anything tbh).

So any tips?
    Especially for french because it's not my first language and well it's my weakest subject.

Btw I'll be going to year 11 in September

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For maths: get some textbook workbooks and go through it doing the questions to make sure you fully understand them. Do lots of past papers to get used to the phrasing and there's some styles of questions that come up regularly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffpuffle)
    For maths: get some textbook workbooks and go through it doing the questions to make sure you fully understand them. Do lots of past papers to get used to the phrasing and there's some styles of questions that come up regularly

yeah, okay, thanks. I bought a textbook a few months ago and since then i haven't even touched it once.
    Btw are you doing your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    Any tips for French?

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i took french and i had this little booklet with me, in class i would write down words i dont understand in one column and its translation in the column next to it. but the big thing about french is you just got to remember words. its just words, remember it like how you would with a new english word, use the new word in a sentence which would help you secure it in your head.

i had about 20+ booklets on topics, and my teacher said to read every single one of them, but that's quite pointless, you cant cram in words in one go. what i suggest is look out for common used words relating to the topics you do, look through past papers. dont bother learning every unknown word you come across though thats useful, you wont need it in exams.

another tip is some words are similar in english like ''papier'', you can probably guess it's paper. make educated guess in exams if you never seen the word before, because most of the time, the similar word in english was borrowed from french and altered to suit english speakers.

luckily i have quite a good memory and the french ive learnt since y7 til y11 have stuck with me in my long term memory so the easy common words are like english to me.

ReputationRep:
    My French teacher made us lists of 100 words which frequently come up. I also really recommend Memrise to just pin down the vocab, once you've got the vocab you're already 3/4 of the way to an A*. : https://www.memrise.com/
    I found this so helpful.
    As for maths I have never struggled doing maths so I can't really comment but from what I've heard just practice papers again and again. There are also some websites where you can revise the topics you struggle with.

ReputationRep:
    For Maths, I definitely recommend MathsBuster by CGP (the ones who create those notorious revision guides). It cost like £13.99 or something but it was honestly the best purchase of my life. It lasts forever (it's not like a subscription/membership), and it gives you everything you need to pass the upcoming GCSEs in 2017.
    For French, I recommend using Memrise and Quizlet. I've been studying 100 words a day from Memrise, it's such a good website!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrykel)
    For Maths, I definitely recommend MathsBuster by CGP (the ones who create those notorious revision guides). It cost like £13.99 or something but it was honestly the best purchase of my life. It lasts forever (it's not like a subscription/membership), and it gives you everything you need to pass the upcoming GCSEs in 2017.
    For French, I recommend using Memrise and Quizlet. I've been studying 100 words a day from Memrise, it's such a good website!
    How does the word notorious fit into your sentence? Just wondering...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Daydreamer3)
    How does the word notorious fit into your sentence? Just wondering...
    he probably meant famous

ReputationRep:
    Learn some tricky words, but dont stress about learning every word on a big long vocab list! As someone else said, most words will be similar to English anyway.
    Learn connectives and adjectives in French (like souvent, dernier and prochaine, sans, en plus/non plus)... I find that in the listening exams, I can usually work out what they're talking about but I get tripped up by the little words which can completely change the meaning of a sentence, like negatives.

In the listening papers you can usually tell from tone of voice whether the speaker is being positive or negative, so that can help in opinion questions.

And in your reading time at the start of the exam, go through the questions and jot down vocab words on French that you'll expect to come up (E.g. voiture and avion for a question about transport). Then youll be prepared for the basics and will be able to focus on the rest of the question.

In reading exams start by translating words or phrases in a paragraph that you know then fill in the blanks by taking educated guesses.
    Hope this was helpful. :goodluck:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.