Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm really stuck on choosing a topic for my history coursework. We can do it on anything. I'm interested in doing midwifery at uni so would something linked to that or nursing be useful? I'm also interested in Florence Nightingale but I can't find anything useful for her. Anyone got any helpful ideas?
    Thanks!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by ffion_bliss)
    Hi there,
    I'm really stuck on choosing a topic for my history coursework. We can do it on anything. I'm interested in doing midwifery at uni so would something linked to that or nursing be useful? I'm also interested in Florence Nightingale but I can't find anything useful for her. Anyone got any helpful ideas?
    Thanks!
    I think something linked to nursing would be really interesting. Maybe something about nurses in WW1 might be interesting too?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ffion_bliss)
    Hi there,
    Thanks!
    Florence is quite big actually. I had to study her when I studied the Crimean War at AS History.

Why not do something to do with medicine at the front line in a major war such as Crimean War or WW1? Look at how useful medics were in managing wounded soldiers or how the innovations of medicine advancement during the late 19th century influenced the outcome of the Crimean War or WW1. You could look at the physical treatments or the psychological treatments of men (the latter goes great with WW1).

You could possibly look at birthing ideas or what midwives used to do in Early Modern England or the implications of giving birth during the Victorian era? I.e when diseases were most prevalent, lack of space in hospitals, women and children dying more, etc?

Make sure you have a lot of sources for your coursework.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! This was so helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.