The Student Room Group

Why do people have a problem with wolf whistling

So if a man sees an attractive women he does a distinctive whistle, but I see it as harmless.

Scroll to see replies

It's harmless but it also lets the world know you're poor and probably haven't bathed for at least a week.
It makes me feel so uncomfortable
Reply 3
Original post by saraxh
It makes me feel so uncomfortable

But why?
Unless the guy is old enough to be your dad and is not invading your personal space, then I see no problem with it.
Original post by Blue_Mason
So if a man sees an attractive women he does a distinctive whistle, but I see it as harmless.

You may see it as harmless, but many women feel uncomfortable about it.
Lol I guess it sounds nice in theory but in reality the person doing the whistling is a disgusting looking old man who also shouts something disgusting like 'big tits' after he whistles.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Lol I guess it sounds nice in theory but in reality the person doing the whistling is a disgusting looking old man who also shouts something disgusting like 'big tits' after he whistles.

Phoar :sexface:

come ere luv
But why?
Unless the guy is old enough to be your dad and is not invading your personal space, then I see no problem with it.

Some girls might like the attention but most don't. Tbh It just makes me feel self conscious.
Reply 8
Original post by asmuse123
You may see it as harmless, but many women feel uncomfortable about it.

I struggle to see in how a harmless whistle can make someone feel uncomfortable, if they are not crossing any social barriers

I get that, but if it is a handsome young chap , i see no problem.
I struggle to see in how a harmless whistle can make someone feel uncomfortable, if they are not crossing any social barriers

I get that, but if it is a handsome young chap , i see no problem.

It just seems like a horrible way to get a woman's attention and let her know that she's attractive. I think most women would appreciate someone telling them that they're beautiful however whistling may perceived as demeaning, for example you might whistle to grab the attention of a dog or other animal.
It just seems like a horrible way to get a woman's attention and let her know that she's attractive. I think most women would appreciate someone telling them that they're beautiful however whistling may perceived as demeaning, for example you might whistle to grab the attention of a dog or other animal.

Horrible?
If a reasonable looking chap were to whistle , and keep it moving than it is not as horrible if compared to an old pervy man who is trying invade your space.
It can be deemed as a compliment as someone is giving them attention, it can be funny.
Reply 11
People get offended by anything
Depends who you whistle it at, I normally do it to foxes on my road at night
Because more often than not, the man that just "complimented" you will then approach you, invade your personal space, ask questions about you - and if you ignore him, he gets all offended and angry because, why would you ignore a bloke that just gave you a compliment? Stupid b****.
It's quite intimidating actually... Especially if there's a few of them.

It's also embarrassing. People tend to do it for attractive women, but also sarcastically. If you're somebody with low self esteem, it can be quite insulting. And, you know, then the whole road starts staring at you.

So no, the problem isn't really the whistling, at least not for me, it's the fact that it's often followed by an aggressive confrontation or is just plain embarrassing.

It's also bloody weird. Imagine if the next woman you saw in the middle of a busy space hollered "OI MATE UR FIT" and her and her friends start laughing at you. It'd probably make you uncomfortable...

Natural mating call and people get all angry and in uproar fml.
It's rude and ignorant, and you know it, Blue Mason. This is just another one of your wind up threads.
Original post by Seamus123
It's rude and ignorant, and you know it, Blue Mason. This is just another one of your wind up threads.

SEAMUS. There *IS* no polite way to say "Ma'am, i admire your divine beauty and would like to fornicate with you should you so desire m'lady"
Original post by 1010marina
Because more often than not, the man that just "complimented" you will then approach you, invade your personal space, ask questions about you - and if you ignore him, he gets all offended and angry because, why would you ignore a bloke that just gave you a compliment? Stupid b****.
It's quite intimidating actually... Especially if there's a few of them.

It's also embarrassing. People tend to do it for attractive women, but also sarcastically. If you're somebody with low self esteem, it can be quite insulting. And, you know, then the whole road starts staring at you.

So no, the problem isn't really the whistling, at least not for me, it's the fact that it's often followed by an aggressive confrontation or is just plain embarrassing.

It's also bloody weird. Imagine if the next woman you saw in the middle of a busy space hollered "OI MATE UR FIT" and her and her friends start laughing at you. It'd probably make you uncomfortable...

I would do a creepy excited grin, squat down and extend my arms with my fingers in grabbing motion and squat run after her deeply growling mmmmmmmmmhmm
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Because it's crass, presumptuous and demeaning.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I would do a creepy excited grin, squat down and extend my arms with my fingers in grabbing motion and squat run after her deeply growling mmmmmmmmmhmm

... interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest