Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend and I have been going out for almost 2 years, we both think it would be a good idea to end it before we go as we will both be so far away from one another. She is going to Cambridge and I Loughborough. Are there any couples also in this situation or ones that have been through this and what would you advise? Thank you

I really like her so this will be really hard for me but I know that no matter what happens I will always have feelings for her.

ReputationRep:
    I know of 2 other couples in a long distance relationship. One broke up before uni, but decided they both missed each other too much, so got back together. The others met, and started the relationship, whilst he was at uni and she was in sixth form. Although they always miss each other, they keep in contact and have a great time when they eventually see each other.

I'm going to be in a LDR if I get into uni this year. I've thought, and worried, about it for a long time, but I decided that 4 years of missing my boyfriend was worth the possibility of sharing a lifetime with him. I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try. I'll worry about it when any problems arise rather than overthinking it and ending it on my worst-case-scenario ideas.

If she's worth it, why let her go? 3 or 4 years can pass by quickly and you'd see each other in the holidays at the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magicalgeofray)
    My girlfriend and I have been going out for almost 2 years, we both think it would be a good idea to end it before we go as we will both be so far away from one another. She is going to Cambridge and I Loughborough. Are there any couples also in this situation or ones that have been through this and what would you advise? Thank you

I really like her so this will be really hard for me but I know that no matter what happens I will always have feelings for her.
    I'm in LDR for 5 months and its fine, as long as its the person you want to have in long-term.

ReputationRep:
    That's strange. A lot depends whether you feel like you could spend the rest of your life with her and be faithful

ReputationRep:
    Realistically the relationship is unlikely to survive uni. But who knows. Follow your hearts.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of couples like this. Whilst I have seen it go horribly wrong I have also seen it go very right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your replies, i think i will evaluate the situation when we get there. I couldnt imagine my life without her but im willing to try and make it work, i love her wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    you have to make your own choices... some people break up and regret it, other people stay together and regret it... long distance is always going to be difficult for everyone involved so it's up to you to decide whether it's worth taking the risk and the extra effort knowing most couples will break up anyway (and many will do so badly with many arguments or cheating rather than having an amicable break up)

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to Loughborough, then I'd stick with her. Isn't it 2:1 males:females there?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Magicalgeofray)

I forgot to add this point to your other thread. Its probably one of the reasons she was going cold on you anyway.

If you both arent keen (she isnt), then its an almost impossible task yp keep oy going. better to part now and remain on good terms. You never know you can always pick up after.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to Loughborough, and after my boyfriend found out I was pretty adamant on going there, he decided to firm Nottingham to be close. I think it can most definitely work is you are able to firstly trust each other, and know that there is some form of communication. It's probably better to at least try rather than give up and walk away, especially if it's someone you know you can't walk away from easily.

ReputationRep:
    Stay together. If you like each other enough, you'll make it work

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.