Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it possible to move out like this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    basically ive decided im not going to come home over summer next year in between my 2nd and 3rd year. The only issue is i have no idea where im going to stay, if i rent a student flat can i live in there the summer before or are they only available during term time? im staying in private halls right now so i dont really know how the whole getting a flat procedure..any help much appreciated
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    basically ive decided im not going to come home over summer next year in between my 2nd and 3rd year. The only issue is i have no idea where im going to stay, if i rent a student flat can i live in there the summer before or are they only available during term time? im staying in private halls right now so i dont really know how the whole getting a flat procedure..any help much appreciated
    It just depends on the contract you get. Proper uni accommodation will usually be term time, but most halls have extra options for over summer afterwards.

For private halls, again depends on the contracts, the ones I'm going to be staying in this year had the option of 41 weeks and 51 week contracts. If you're renting an actual flat I think most leases are a full year.

So if you're looking for a proper flat then I'm sure it will be common that they're full year contracts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    It just depends on the contract you get. Proper uni accommodation will usually be term time, but most halls have extra options for over summer afterwards.

For private halls, again depends on the contracts, the ones I'm going to be staying in this year had the option of 41 weeks and 51 week contracts. If you're renting an actual flat I think most leases are a full year.

So if you're looking for a proper flat then I'm sure it will be common that they're full year contracts
    thanks! im going to get myself a little flat for myself and ill never have to come back 'home' again
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    thanks! im going to get myself a little flat for myself and ill never have to come back 'home' again
    I really want to do that as well but the private halls I'm staying in finish in July. So don't know yet how I'd be able to fill the gap. I would also have to find a flat for July too, just need to find people to share with! Don't know if I'd like living alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    I really want to do that as well but the private halls I'm staying in finish in July. So don't know yet how I'd be able to fill the gap. I would also have to find a flat for July too, just need to find people to share with! Don't know if I'd like living alone
    yeah its like the end of july, auguast and the majority of september haha, such an awkward stage

ReputationRep:
    Like someone said, uni's have summer options and some private halls do full year contracts. If you don't care much about living in halls, you can just rent a flat yourself and live there however long you want to. Most contacts are 6month minimum with no max stay as long as you pay rent and cause no problems

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.