Turn on thread page Beta

Hey, I have an odd problem with self confidence. Sometimes, usually lasting up until about a week I feel crap, really crap. I feel uncreative, uninteresting, dull, unmotivated, lethargic and I lack concentration or interest. I guess I feel a mild form of apathy. I'm in this stage right now, but I'm a little better for getting it off my chest. I feel a mental clamp tightening around my head that restricts freedom of thought. This stage reared it's ugly head on Saturday night after about 2 weeks where I felt fairly alright/good.

When I feel good I don't exactly feel on top of the world, but I place a value on my life and start to make plans for the future, and become more interested and curious. I'm more creative and a better conversationalist by a good degree. It's only comparitively good to the bad stages, but I can definitely reap some pleasure from life. The clamp starts to loosen, but at the back of my mind I seem to know it's always going to tighten again. When it does come back it makes my life so unstable, I lose optimism and focus and my interests are forgotten.

So understandably I want to shake it altogether and function at my full potential. It's not that my circumstances are ****e, on the contrary I have a good load of friends, and a good few close ones, but I feel distant from them and entirely different when I'm down in the dumps, so the relationships can be rocky and they're probably beginning to view me as a nutter. I used to go out a lot more than I used to, you'd expect the opposite saying as it's summer, but my good moods disappear before I can really make plans so as a consequence I waste my time in my room playing video games and searching the net. It's unbelievably monotonus but when I'm down I haven't the will to effect change.

I've always been restless and a bit different from my friends. Primary school was ****e for me, I can't remember the exact reasons why but I was basically a loner for years with just a few friends. Secondary school (I'm 17) was the same for the first 3 years then I started to become a reasonably well liked guy... people said I was jolly and had a great sense of humour, but that person is a stranger to me now, just 2/3 years later... I don't know how he disappeared. I can't even remember if he was as jolly as they say... but I seemed well liked.

I know the way my mood changed suggests manic depression, but I've visited my GP who refered me to a nurse... who diagnosed me as completely clear of mental health problems but suggested I join a group to work on my substansal confidence issues. I didn't for some reason... that was a few months ago. I am beggining to suspect cyclothymia though, a rarer, milder and less detectable form of bipolar, so I think I may have been wrongly diagnosed.

Sorry for the longness of the post, I'm a long winded sorta guy, because I'm so unclear in what I'm thinking a lot of the time, but do you think I ought to go back and visit my GP, join a self-confidence clinic or what? Does anyone know anybody with cyclothymia? It's hard to find resources and experiences of it over the net so I don't know if I'd fit the description.

Thanks.

Bump, please any advice whatsoever...

ReputationRep:
    i am kind of feeling the same from time to time (and i was a loner when i was younger, too!)....i cannot suggest anything you could do. and i would have suggested seeing a psychologist if you didn't state that you had already done so.

maybe you could write a list of qualities you like about yourself when you are not feeling really crappy and read them again? or you could do something you enjoy which doesn't involve going out etc. maybe reading a book.

i guess i am not very helpful, but i am here to listen if you want to talk

ReputationRep:
    You're obviously not happy the way things are and seeming as it's all in your head then that's where you have to beat it. You say you think it might mild, so you could feasibly will your way out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I often feel quite the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, I have an odd problem with self confidence. Sometimes, usually lasting up until about a week I feel crap, really crap. I feel uncreative, uninteresting, dull, unmotivated, lethargic and I lack concentration or interest. I guess I feel a mild form of apathy. I'm in this stage right now, but I'm a little better for getting it off my chest. I feel a mental clamp tightening around my head that restricts freedom of thought. This stage reared it's ugly head on Saturday night after about 2 weeks where I felt fairly alright/good.

When I feel good I don't exactly feel on top of the world, but I place a value on my life and start to make plans for the future, and become more interested and curious. I'm more creative and a better conversationalist by a good degree. It's only comparitively good to the bad stages, but I can definitely reap some pleasure from life. The clamp starts to loosen, but at the back of my mind I seem to know it's always going to tighten again. When it does come back it makes my life so unstable, I lose optimism and focus and my interests are forgotten.

So understandably I want to shake it altogether and function at my full potential. It's not that my circumstances are ****e, on the contrary I have a good load of friends, and a good few close ones, but I feel distant from them and entirely different when I'm down in the dumps, so the relationships can be rocky and they're probably beginning to view me as a nutter. I used to go out a lot more than I used to, you'd expect the opposite saying as it's summer, but my good moods disappear before I can really make plans so as a consequence I waste my time in my room playing video games and searching the net. It's unbelievably monotonus but when I'm down I haven't the will to effect change.

I've always been restless and a bit different from my friends. Primary school was ****e for me, I can't remember the exact reasons why but I was basically a loner for years with just a few friends. Secondary school (I'm 17) was the same for the first 3 years then I started to become a reasonably well liked guy... people said I was jolly and had a great sense of humour, but that person is a stranger to me now, just 2/3 years later... I don't know how he disappeared. I can't even remember if he was as jolly as they say... but I seemed well liked.

I know the way my mood changed suggests manic depression, but I've visited my GP who refered me to a nurse... who diagnosed me as completely clear of mental health problems but suggested I join a group to work on my substansal confidence issues. I didn't for some reason... that was a few months ago. I am beggining to suspect cyclothymia though, a rarer, milder and less detectable form of bipolar, so I think I may have been wrongly diagnosed.

Sorry for the longness of the post, I'm a long winded sorta guy, because I'm so unclear in what I'm thinking a lot of the time, but do you think I ought to go back and visit my GP, join a self-confidence clinic or what? Does anyone know anybody with cyclothymia? It's hard to find resources and experiences of it over the net so I don't know if I'd fit the description.

Thanks.
    OMGGGG you hav JUST like described me!! sooo strangeee =O i know ho you feel, one week i feel ok and a bit happy and the next i dont see the point in anything. at the moment im feeling down. WOW i thought i was just crazy to be honest =(

ReputationRep:
    I feel similarly except my bursts of optimism usually last for a day seperated by weeks of apathy.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like that all the time, it's worse cause I can't sleep cos of it! I stay up all night thinking...and making it worse. I get easily angered and paranoid. Little things wind me up- this stopped for a while but now it has came back with vengeance! But I know what your going through. It could be down to hormones?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. And here I thought I was the only one going through this.

ReputationRep:
    That describes me perfectly as well. The periods of apathy seem to be dominating my life more and more though. I just really wish I didn't feel like this

ReputationRep:
    i no what ur feeling! an i often feel the same! as i was readin this a teacher made me feel like that, nice of them lol! its jus get urself out there an talkin to new ppl! WHICH I NO IS VERY DIFFICULT

ReputationRep:
    Alchol and lots of it my friend! Trivialises the bad, and complimets the good. Allows you to say what you want to rather than what you feel you should.

But who ever listened to moi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Garret)
    Alchol and lots of it my friend! Trivialises the bad, and complimets the good. Allows you to say what you want to rather than what you feel you should.

But who ever listened to moi?
    But can make the bad even worse.

I dunno if it could be hormones. In fact I'd love it if it where, because it'd pass in a few months more than likely, but I doubt it... saying as puberty is more or less over for someone a month shy of 18.

Drink can make me go either way, sometimes it makes me mellow out abit... I'm able to interact better... but other times... it just makes matters worse so I've decided to stay sober until I can work out my probs.

I'm going to make some definite regime changes in the next few months so the summer aint just a complete waste of time. A job maybe, and hopefully I'll meet new people and develop new interests that way.

Cheers everybody and it's a comfort to know I'm not one of a kind.

ReputationRep:
    Cyclic emotions are normal with all of us.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to have a mental illness to feel this way!

I felt it, too. For a few months, pushing a year maybe. I wouldn't do much except work and play games. I wasn't unhappy, just dull and lethargic, and fell into this routine, couldn't be bothered doing anything else.

I've only recently come out of it, though, filled with this new determination that takes me over every day which is great.

What are your plans? Is there anything you want to be doing with your life?

That's what broke it for me; I realised how awesome it would be to go back to university, and feel completely drawn to Diagnostic Radiography. So far the past couple of months I'm doing everything I can to achieve this goal and it keeps my days ticking over until September 2008 when my life will really change!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.