Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How Friendly Are/Were You with Your Lecturers? watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Just a general question whether current or past students had a friendly relationship with any of their lecturers? I don't mean going down to the pub with them, but things like "banter" or just friendly conversation.

For example, my AA emailed me after I posed a question and his opening line was "I hope you're having a good vacation". I personally think he's just being polite and doesn't expect me to answer saying "Great thanks, how yours?" - if you know what I mean?

I'm jut nosey to hear whether uni students had friendly relationships with their lecturers?

ReputationRep:
    Lecturers are people. It depends whether opposite sex or same sex. You can't be too friendly with them. Try and keep it professional I guess but be nice...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Just a general question whether current or past students had a friendly relationship with any of their lecturers? I don't mean going down to the pub with them, but things like "banter" or just friendly conversation.

For example, my AA emailed me after I posed a question and his opening line was "I hope you're having a good vacation". I personally think he's just being polite and doesn't expect me to answer saying "Great thanks, how yours?" - if you know what I mean?

I'm jut nosey to hear whether uni students had friendly relationships with their lecturers?
    Hello

As someone has commented, 'lecturers are people' at the end of the day. We have 'banter' with all of our lecturers but at the same time, I study a Drama degree so we are a crazy bunch anyway. There is some down to earth tutors but at the same time, they still have a laugh and a joke around with me. They may be teaching with me but I still them as people that I can talk to and have a chat with.

I think it depends about how close you want to be with your lecturer. E.g. do you find it easy to confine in them if you need help/support at university or would you stay clear? Do you stay after lectures to chat about some etc? It just all depends!

ReputationRep:
    I did Biology, we had a hot male, 30s lecturer I wanted to ****. he looked like a twink.. I wanted to dominate that ass
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd say most lecturers are open to friendly relationships especially once you get past first year, those are the ones that will see you as adults instead of kids. After all you could be working with them as colleagues a couple of years down the line, no need to sully that by treating you as anything less than a potential friend.

ReputationRep:
    hope you're having a nice holiday is clearly just a polite thing to say rather than wanting to actually talk to you about it but many lecturers/postgrads are quite friendly, especially as you move further through university

ReputationRep:
    Most of my lecturers were quite friendly at university, but I still felt a bit awkward sending an email with just hi / hello on it. I got to know my tutor quite well and I'd say I was quite friendly with her. I could comfortably share a joke with her etc. I think it depends on the lecturer and the department. Some people are just more approachable than others.

The relationship is certainly a lot better than the student / teacher relationship at schools. You are not treated as a child at university.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on friendly terms with 5 of my lecturers. Three of them I just happen to get on really well with and we have the same research interests so conversation always flowed pretty naturally when I asked questions, and 3 years later it has progressed to the point where we can happily share jokes and chat about day to day things. The other two of them are involved in a committee that I am in charge of, therefore we spend quite a bit of time together anyway.

Your email sounds like they are just being polite, but it would be equally as polite for your to respond with "Good thank you, I hope you're well" or something of the sort.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)

My uni tutor used to take us to the college bar quite frequently Six years after leaving, I'm on good terms with a few of my old subject and welfare tutors, and have met their spouses and kids, etc. One tutor even invited me to her wedding :eek:

I guess Oxbridge is perhaps more conducive to such things, due to the tutorial/supervision systems :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I normally called the female ones, love at the end of emails, especially if i thought i was doing okay in their classes. Probably explains the bad grades!??

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.