The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Durham truly for me?

I've only been able to visit Durham once, and it wasn't on an open/taster day. Academically it really appealed to me (and this is obviously the most important thing), and the facilities seem excellent but my reservations/preferences make me question whether I should be scouring Clearing for the purposes of finding a different uni for this reason, among others (such as missing my offer).

Whilst I'm eager to meet people, join societies and develop new friendships (like any other first year student), I'm quite an introvert, not too socially experienced (something I'd like to changebut it won't be good for me if I'm thrown too far out of my comfort zone too quickly), and like my own space to retreat to when I'm feeling drained. The college system thus intimidates me in a way that the standard university halls don't - how much involvement am I expected to have? What kind of commitments exist? How tight-knit is it (the system in general)? I chose Collingwood because it seems to have the most relaxed vibe, and also seems to be the largest, so increasing the liklihood of meeting people that I'll click with, hopefully.

The other thing is location and the factors that come with it. Obviously it's quite a small town when I much prefer large metripolitan cities i.e. London. If uni is getting extremely stressful/I'm feeling down I'll feel like there'll be nowhere to 'escape to', in a sense. Will I struggle to adjust to this? I currently live in a city and when I was initially thinking about applying to universities months ago, I remember thinking how wonderful it would be to live in London during my uni years and to fill my calendar with exciting day events such as guest lectures, festivals, exhibitions, etc related to my degree or not that often take place in London. Of course I'll lose this opportunity if I go to Durham, but nowhere in London appeals to me as much as Durham's course does.
Original post by Susan______1
I've only been able to visit Durham once, and it wasn't on an open/taster day. Academically it really appealed to me (and this is obviously the most important thing), and the facilities seem excellent but my reservations/preferences make me question whether I should be scouring Clearing for the purposes of finding a different uni for this reason, among others (such as missing my offer).

Whilst I'm eager to meet people, join societies and develop new friendships (like any other first year student), I'm quite an introvert, not too socially experienced (something I'd like to changebut it won't be good for me if I'm thrown too far out of my comfort zone too quickly), and like my own space to retreat to when I'm feeling drained. The college system thus intimidates me in a way that the standard university halls don't - how much involvement am I expected to have? What kind of commitments exist? How tight-knit is it (the system in general)? I chose Collingwood because it seems to have the most relaxed vibe, and also seems to be the largest, so increasing the liklihood of meeting people that I'll click with, hopefully.

The other thing is location and the factors that come with it. Obviously it's quite a small town when I much prefer large metripolitan cities i.e. London. If uni is getting extremely stressful/I'm feeling down I'll feel like there'll be nowhere to 'escape to', in a sense. Will I struggle to adjust to this? I currently live in a city and when I was initially thinking about applying to universities months ago, I remember thinking how wonderful it would be to live in London during my uni years and to fill my calendar with exciting day events such as guest lectures, festivals, exhibitions, etc related to my degree or not that often take place in London. Of course I'll lose this opportunity if I go to Durham, but nowhere in London appeals to me as much as Durham's course does.

Durham is a lovely city plenty of clubs and you meet so many different people you are bound to find some you click with.
If you are worried about the small city thing Newcastle is only 5 minutes away on the train for nights out and some more space to roam.
The teaching and facilities are amazing and would recommend the uni in a heartbeat
If you want any specific questions answered or more detail about anything feel free to PM me
(edited 7 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I also will be coming to Collingwood, and if you are moving from a city to another, I am coming from a different country. Yet I believe it will be a great time there at Durham. May be we bump into each other once there :wink:
Thank you! :smile:
To quote a professor of statistics who I had a talk with last year:
"You will get the same education at most unis such as Southhampton or Bristol. It's very hard to get in here, you need to be the best in your school for the past 5 years, unless of course to go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough. You don't go to school in Middlebrough do you?"

(All of this was rubbish and I assume most other professors there are better)
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm ex-Grey and I absolutely loved the college system, but I wouldn't worry about having to get overly involved - I know plenty of people for whom their college was their lives and plenty of people for whom college was simply a place that they were registered to out of necessity. I would say if you're nervous about it then choosing a hill college was the right way to go - the actual colleges are far more spacious and there's less of the pomp and ceremony that you get with Bailey college (less formals, less traditions etc)

Like LPauling said you have Newcastle on the doorstep if you want a big city to escape to, as well as only being just under an hour away from York and just over an hour away from Leeds. And while it is a small town Durham has plenty of culture, societies to get involved in outside of the college system and guest lectures.

Hope this helps and I'm sure if you go to Durham you won't regret it - it truly is a fantastic city and university!

Quick Reply

Latest