Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading a lot about sixth form and I've seen many post where people say that they have to take their own paper and notebooks etc into sixth form because the school doesn't provide them. I'm going to be going to Lincoln Christs Hospital School's Sixth Form and they've always provided paper and notebooks in the lower school, does anyone know if their sixth form provides these or whether I have to bring them in myself. I don't want to seem unprepared on the first day.

ReputationRep:
    Very suprising. Never heard anything like that..schools always supply resources..at least..thats what I've experienced.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any harm in bringing some just in case. A lot of people prefer writing with their own paper/notebooks in Sixth Form so they can create their own files and revision material. Note that you're expected to take a much more proactive role in your own studies so making your own files should be preferable even if your Sixth Form offer you exercise books to write with.

ReputationRep:
    Although it's early in the summer and school doesn't start for ages, for my A levels I've bought: an A4 folder for each of my subjects (maths, biology, geography and business) as well as dividers to go into them; plastic wallets to organise sheets of paper and letters for each subject; a notebook for each subject to copy up class notes and work neatly so I have a revision material book for each subject; a wad of A4 lined paper by the company Pukka to use as paper during the day as I've been told that it won't be provided; a wad of squared paper for maths (also by pukka) as this won't be provided either. And also I've got all of my stationary set up for my pencil case etc. I bought a box of paper clips to organise work, coloured pens, black pens, blue pens, mechanical pencils, rubber, calculator and the Oxford maths set- I hope this has helped to give you an idea of what to get, but you can always ask your school/teachers on your results day if you go into school to collect them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that's what I was going to do as well just in case they don't provide it at my school, well except for the squared paper, I'm not doing maths I'm doing biology, geography, product design and photography.

ReputationRep:
    m8 our school didnt provide us with **** even in lower school, they'd ask if anyone in the class was kind enough to give some paper to someone who didnt have it, but we did get exercise books in like year 8 and 9...

Either way I recommend you bring your own supplies to 6th form, i find notebooks useless because you'll have a lot of loose papers so folders are best for class, notebooks for revision notes and stuff.

Get those large ass lever files, one for each subject, a bunch of refillable pads and dividers, stationery and you're set for the year! If your 6th form dont give out planners, buy a planner or atleast use a memo book because youre gonna have to keep track of a LOT of things.

ReputationRep:
    You don't want to be unprepared but you also need to be careful not to take too much or your bag will become extremely heavy.
    Ideally all you'd have in your bag on a daily basis would be a pad of lined paper, and possibly a 'daily' folder, with dividers for each subject and that is emptied into subject folders that are kept at home at least every other week. You'll also need pens (I'd advise a number of different colours as nearly all subjects require lots of writing and different colours can help split up the page when reviewing it.), pencils, a ruler, some highlighters and a scientific calculator (even if not doing maths).
    I'd personally avoid squared paper as there is no real need for it in A level maths and it adds unnecessary weight to your bag, but if you did want some I'd keep 10ish pages in the front of your daily folder rather than keeping the whole pad with you at all times.

ReputationRep:
    my scool didnt provide notwbooks but if you forget notebooks they probably hav paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lol0905)
    Thank you that's what I was going to do as well just in case they don't provide it at my school, well except for the squared paper, I'm not doing maths I'm doing biology, geography, product design and photography.
    Ooh they sound like good subjects! And yeah, it's better to be over-prepared rather than underprepared

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    my scool didnt provide notwbooks but if you forget notebooks they probably hav paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My sixth form college didn't but there was always people willing to lend* you paper if you asked.
    *no one actually expected it back, although the next time they forgot paper you'd be first to be asked

ReputationRep:
    I go to a sixth form college and we have to bring our own stuff. So in my bag I would have a pencil case, a notepad and a folder with plastic pockets inside. Having a smaller notebook as a planner/diary would be useful to write down dates of when work is due as well. It's a good way to help you keep organize.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.