Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any insight into whether its harder to get a spot on an undergraduate course or a graduate course for grad entry applicants? I gather that acceptance rates are generally significantly higher for undergraduate courses, but as far as I can tell they're irrelevant for graduates, for whom there are only a restricted number of spots. That's assuming that all courses restrict spots for graduates; I'd love to know if any don't!

I hadn't particularly considered applying for undergraduate courses until recently, given the lack of financial support for graduates, but if my chances would be more in line with undergraduate acceptance rates I'd definitely look into it. I have a first class integrated Master's at undergraduate level and PhD (soon enough) in biological subjects, for what difference that makes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chikkinn)
    Does anyone have any insight into whether its harder to get a spot on an undergraduate course or a graduate course for grad entry applicants? I gather that acceptance rates are generally significantly higher for undergraduate courses, but as far as I can tell they're irrelevant for graduates, for whom there are only a restricted number of spots. That's assuming that all courses restrict spots for graduates; I'd love to know if any don't!

I hadn't particularly considered applying for undergraduate courses until recently, given the lack of financial support for graduates, but if my chances would be more in line with undergraduate acceptance rates I'd definitely look into it. I have a first class integrated Master's at undergraduate level and PhD (soon enough) in biological subjects, for what difference that makes.
    It is definitely harder to get into a GEP, there are fewer places and many more applicants. This is mostly because GEP students can receive a tuition fee loan from 1st year and an NHS bursary from 2nd year, but graduates on A100 degrees would only be able to access the maintenance loan i.e. would have to come up with £9K per year themselves.

If you can afford it, I'd certainly apply for at least one A100 course - you'd be increasing your chances of getting an offer quite significantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    It is definitely harder to get into a GEP, there are fewer places and many more applicants. This is mostly because GEP students can receive a tuition fee loan from 1st year and an NHS bursary from 2nd year, but graduates on A100 degrees would only be able to access the maintenance loan i.e. would have to come up with £9K per year themselves.

If you can afford it, I'd certainly apply for at least one A100 course - you'd be increasing your chances of getting an offer quite significantly.

(Original post by prospectivemed56)
    As far as I know there are no 'official' caps on the proportions of grads that the 5-year courses can admit (in the way that there are caps on the overall numbers of students), although some do set aside a certain number of offers for graduates. Even so,based on my own experience of applying to a mix of courses, your chances are much, much higher of getting both an interview and an offer if applying to a 5-year course than a grad course.

When applying to A100, you are competing within two 'pools': first, against the other graduates (of whom there are very few because of the financial considerations of a 5-year course), and second, against a larger but still quite small pool of school-leavers (who have higher minimum academic requirements than you and much less experience and motivation to bring to interview).

When you're applying to A101, though, you're up against a huge number of people fighting over a smaller number of places, many of whom will be at a similar if not better level than you in terms of motivation, work experience, grades, GAMSAT/UKCAT, etc. Your personal statement and reference are held up to more scrutiny, the interviewers give you a harder time, and expectations are just higher overall.
    Thank you both, that's really encouraging! I'll phone around and see who caps the number of graduates on their undergrad course and who doesn't. I read in a thread from last year that Southampton do, and that consequently the requirements are much higher than for school leavers applying for the same course. It's good to hear that that isn't the case everywhere and that, even where it is, the odds are still better than they are for GEPs. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The competition ratio (applicants: offers) is much lower on undergrad courses (5-10:1) compared to GEM (25-60:1).

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.