Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling to find any information what so ever on businesses and relocation, I need information on why they would do it, any issues that need to be considered, any constraints and advantages.

Thanks in advance, Rev.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    I'm really struggling to find any information what so ever on businesses and relocation, I need information on why they would do it, any issues that need to be considered, any constraints and advantages.

Thanks in advance, Rev.
    - Manager preference, in small businesses, if the main man moves house then the business goes with him

- Benefit from external economies of scale, for example, it would make more sense for a pub to be in the city centre in a row of pubs rather than on the edge, although competition is greater it is more desirable to be there due to customers knowing where to go

- Benefit from better/cheaper raw materials

- Cut costs of travel and transport between suppliers/customers

- Cheaper labour costs, very relevant with cheap labour available in new countries of EU

- moving abroad to get 'inside' trade barriers, such as quota limits imposed by the EU, or moving the main headquarters of a company to take advantage of lower tax.

- to gain subsidies and tax breaks, government offer large firms tax credits to locate in regeneration areas

- Outgrown old premises, often companies take the opportunity to relocate to a new area at the same time as expand rather than stay in the same area.

Main issues of the above tend to be wage costs, especially relocating in international terms. Most of the issues are very minor, to be honest like most business concepts in the exam advantages and disadvantages are very individual business specific - the type and size of the business is important. Feel free to PM if you want anything explaining in detail or any other help

G-W-D

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, really helped me.

ReputationRep:
    Try www.tutor2u.net for some business info, revision etc. Apart from that, I think it's all been said, but I didn't read it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.