A level French Watch

Miss Studious
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys I was just wondering if anybody here does A level French because I would like to know how it is like as I am thinking of doing it for A level. I did Gcse French and I liked but I am by no means fluent in french. I can read and understand some texts in french but obviously Gcse is easier than A level so I just want to know how A level french is in case I end up not liking it.
callumward97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've just finished my A Level French course which was done by WJEC. I really liked it, although my class wasn't great considering there were only two of us. It's a BIG step up from GCSE, you need to know the ins and outs of grammar and have an extensive vocabulary (but of course, this will continue to grow throughout the two years). Out of the four A Level courses that I did, French was by far my favourite and I think it's definitely worth doing because Languages are highly sought after!
Miss Studious
Rep:
?
Thank you for giving me an idea of how A level french is like. Hopefully I will be able to decide if it really is the right A level subject for me.
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Miss Studious)
Hey guys I was just wondering if anybody here does A level French because I would like to know how it is like as I am thinking of doing it for A level. I did Gcse French and I liked but I am by no means fluent in french. I can read and understand some texts in french but obviously Gcse is easier than A level so I just want to know how A level french is in case I end up not liking it.
just finished AS and its so good! Do it!
You get to write on lots of varied topics (in french ofc :mmm:) and I wouldn't say it's that big a step up
There's more vocab and you recap tenses and maybe learn 1 new one idk - depends on your GCSE French I guess
I think AS-->A2 is larger as you start to analyse books/films and look more into the history of France :france:
But if you enjoy it now, you should enjoy it more at A-level, don't worry about being fluent
I hope you make the right decision
Spoiler:
Show
do ittttttttttt
hoafanuk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's really brilliant (just finished AS Edexcel) and it's so rewarding. I'd definitely choose it again!
Miss Studious
Rep:
?
username2571271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey I'm moving on to A2 in September

I would definitely recommend it I find that AS is quite a step up as there is quite a bit of new grammar involved and you're expected to use more sophisticated vocabulary and tenses etc, plus the speaking exam is quite intense. However, its fun getting to express your opinions on different topics and as class sizes are much lower (only 3 doing A-level French, 2 of us doing AS and 1 doing A2), you get a lot of support. I really enjoy it and I'm hoping to study Translation or Translation and Interpreting at uni
Miss Studious
Rep:
?
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads