Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I finished my GCSE's back in June (results day soon, fingers crossed!!) and so I'll be starting A levels in September. However, my issue is that now I don't have anything much to do between GCSE and A level, and it's killing me. I feel like this holiday is much too long!
    My sixth form welcome pack came a couple of weeks ago, and I'm doing English Literature, so I've got a reading list for that, but otherwise, I feel like I need to do something! Is there anything worth doing to really prepare myself for A level, just because I really need something to kill the time between now and September 5th, when I go back.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think there's much you can do to prepare for A-levels, and you'll find that hardly anyone will have done anything to prepare. If you're that bothered, maybe look up what exam board your school/college does and buy some textbooks or revision guides. You could read them to give you a bit of an overview of what you'll be learning and if you already know a bit about some of the topics, it might help. However, I would be careful that you don't try to teach yourself before you get there because if you misunderstand something, it could be difficult to remember the right answer on!

The summer between year 11 and year 12 is one of the best because you have nothing to do! Enjoy your freedom!

ReputationRep:
    Go out and enjoy the weather. I personally am in a similar situation and I have made it my task to learn several pieces of music before September (I'm not taking A-level music but I play the piano). You could try setting yourself a project. How about sorting through your room (IDK if your room is as much of a mess as mine) or do some landscaping in your garden. Anything you've been putting off for a while?

ReputationRep:
    you could get a job volunteering at a care home or a charity shop. Or you could go on a short break with some friends. You could visit museums in London, dessert parlours, the park, theme parks, baking, you could play sport enrol at your local tennis club or start zumba and do a summer work out. As for studies do a little but not too much you want to have a break before you go back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    Go out and enjoy the weather. I personally am in a similar situation and I have made it my task to learn several pieces of music before September (I'm not taking A-level music but I play the piano). You could try setting yourself a project. How about sorting through your room (IDK if your room is as much of a mess as mine) or do some landscaping in your garden. Anything you've been putting off for a while?
    It's true that my room is an absolute pigsty at the moment, that's certainly something I need to work on . I'm also getting a new desk from ikea for my bedroom to assemble soon so that will be a challenge!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    I agree with BobSausage, find a project or a goal to work towards! You could learn to play a song or instrument, learn to do the splits or train to be able to run a particular distance in a certain amount of time, learn to cook (useful for uni), learn to make cocktails or mocktails (also useful for uni!), whatever you want! As atomickitten said, volunteering is a good one because it'll give you something to write about in your personal statement, especially if it's related to your degree. See if you can link whatever you do in with the skills, physical or volunteering section of DofE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theperksofbeingnerdy)
    I don't really think there's much you can do to prepare for A-levels, and you'll find that hardly anyone will have done anything to prepare. If you're that bothered, maybe look up what exam board your school/college does and buy some textbooks or revision guides. You could read them to give you a bit of an overview of what you'll be learning and if you already know a bit about some of the topics, it might help. However, I would be careful that you don't try to teach yourself before you get there because if you misunderstand something, it could be difficult to remember the right answer on!

The summer between year 11 and year 12 is one of the best because you have nothing to do! Enjoy your freedom!
    That's true, and I have been pretty busy until now (with trips, prom and other stuff) but this is the point in my holiday where I truly have loads of free time. I might look into text books actually. Thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theperksofbeingnerdy)
    I agree with BobSausage, find a project or a goal to work towards! You could learn to play a song or instrument, learn to do the splits or train to be able to run a particular distance in a certain amount of time, learn to cook (useful for uni), learn to make cocktails or mocktails (also useful for uni!), whatever you want! As atomickitten said, volunteering is a good one because it'll give you something to write about in your personal statement, especially if it's related to your degree. See if you can link whatever you do in with the skills, physical or volunteering section of DofE.
    Oh, that's a great idea actually, as I'm doing my silver DofE this year!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.