Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people care about celebrities? watch

ReputationRep:
    There are certain artists like Michael Jackson who had actual talent, but sadly he passed away. There will never be another like him. I'm referring to the likes of taylor swift, kim kardashian, kanye west etc. These people have an obvious lack of talent and a huge ego. They contribute nothing to society. So are there any people on here that don't give a $h!t about these celebrities?

ReputationRep:
    :iiam::iiam::iiam::iiam::iiam::iiam::iiam::iiam::iiam:

ReputationRep:
    I don't I prefer celebrities like ABBA and Chopin and Jools Holland who all have talent and their egos ado not outweigh those talents.

ReputationRep:
    It's someone to get attached to. People don't live exciting lives generally. People like to live vicariously through the little snapshots we get of celebrity lives. When celebrities 'communicate' with fans in the slightest, fans feel incredibly connected to the celebrities and feel like some sort of relationship is happening between them. That's the main reason Kim K is so popular. She - or maybe a PR - talks to fans on Twitter and other social medias. Not directly, but just stuff like "which bronzer should I wear today?" and that sort of rubbish. Fans eat that kind of stuff right up.

The more drama around a celebrity, the more fans they get. It's like supporting a sports team. Is Taylor Swift better than Ariana Grande? That kind of thing. Humans like to feel connected and closely following celebrities is the closest most people can get to a life of luxury.

Because I need some drama sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Another tainted?

ReputationRep:
    Kanye West is a creative genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    Kanye West is a creative genius.
    Come on. Give us an example. I can do that for my favourites ABBA created a unique soft pop culture and dozens of catchy songs with good lyrics and interesting instrument development. Chopin: a genius of classical piano. His pieces are globally recognised, and whilst you may not be able to put pieces to his name, if I played one of his pieces to you you'd almost certainly recognise it (and when I say one I mean any one of almost half of his pieces). As for Jools Holland an incredibly skilled musician who has so much experience improvising jazz solos. He has devoted his life to playing an instrument and has a skill and talent for it.

All I've ever heard about Kanye West is he dates a revolting looking daughter of some pseudo-celebrity and he 'designed' a T-shirt... well stuck his name on it and raised the price from £12 to £80.
    From what I've seen he just panders to the media to boost sales of his rubbish.
    So what makes him such a genius? In what ways is he creative?

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing its because they are living what is perceived as 'the life' - looks, riches, VIP access to every popular event, recognition worldwide, sleeping with good looking girls/guys, chauffeur driven everyone, always protected when they leave the house, flying the world via private jet etc. It can get rather depressing at times I must admit.

ReputationRep:
    Because the vast majority of people are idiots who dont care about anything meaningful.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.