Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help what's it like to do groceries in Durham? i've noticed there aren't many shops and most of them are placed in the city.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet received an offer to stay in one of the colleges i've opted for so i'll be renting a place. I'll be studying at Durham University Business school and I would like to know how hard is it to do your groceries and if i'll have to commute a lot.

Before asking this question, I have done some research using google maps.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blind Justice)
    Can anyone help what's it like to do groceries in Durham? i've noticed there aren't many shops and most of them are placed in the city.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet received an offer to stay in one of the colleges i've opted for so i'll be renting a place. I'll be studying at Durham University Business school and I would like to know how hard is it to do your groceries and if i'll have to commute a lot.

Before asking this question, I have done some research using google maps.

Thank you.
    Ooo, I was in Durham today property hunting. If you get a place at the university, your college will have accommodation for at least your first year.

Personally, I do all my groceries online with Tescos. There's an Iceland in the city centre. Aldi/Lidl are pretty cheap too if you're near one.

Also, prices up norf are cheaper than down south.

Best of luck!

SS

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where you live in the city. In the city centre, there's Tescos (x2), Marks and Spencers, Sainsburys and Iceland. There's also the market, the weekend market and some independent greengrocers along North Road. These are pretty accessible wherever you are in Durham City. However, if you're living in some of the further-out areas, there's another Sainsbury's and a 24-hour giant Tesco in Gilesgate, and I believe that there's also a Sainsbury's in Neville's Cross. I lived in Butler for my first and third years, about as far out as you can be from the city centre and another supermarket, and I managed fine, transporting most of my groceries in a rucksack up the hill. Though, as Supersaps has also said, deliveries are pretty easy to do also!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your answers, I would like to know how often will I be using transportation or will I fare well by just walking?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your answers, I would like to know how often will I be using transportation or will I fare well by just walking?
    It depends where you live. If you live in one of the colleges, you should fine.

SS

ReputationRep:
    Tesco if you're a normal human being. Otherwise there is Iceland if you are extremely frugal.

I really wouldn't recommend online delivery. The delivery cost and minimum spend is very annoying, and the exercise will do you some good come Christmas time.

ReputationRep:
    Oh nice Blind Justice what course are you doing at the Business School? I'm still deciding on going.

ReputationRep:
    Hey MaxMarks,

Sorry for the late response. I will be pursuing an MSc in Economics. Before getting into Durham I had a conditional offer from University Warwick for their Diploma + MSc Economics program, only to have it withdrawn when I sent my original papers to them. They withdrawn my offer because of my grades even though I had scanned, legalized and translated my transcript into english when I applied online. At least they could have told me not to bother instead of getting my hopes up.

I really hope I won't be missing out out on much even though people are claiming that Warwick is way above Durham.

Also, how is the weather in Durham? i've noticed that the summer is pretty cool and the winter really is not that cold.

ReputationRep:
    Walk I would say most places.

ReputationRep:
    Hey MaxMarks,

Sorry for the late response. I will be pursuing an MSc in Economics. Before getting into Durham I had a conditional offer from University Warwick for their Diploma + MSc Economics program, only to have it withdrawn when I sent my original papers to them. They withdrawn my offer because of my grades even though I had scanned, legalized and translated my transcript into english when I applied online. At least they could have told me not to bother instead of getting my hopes up.

I really hope I won't be missing out out on much even though people are claiming that Warwick is way above Durham.

Also, how is the weather in Durham? i've noticed that the summer is pretty cool and the winter really is not that cold.
    We got snow last year during winter. And had some really hot days in summer but usually it is just quite mild

ReputationRep:
    I am currently at Durham (Hild Bede doing Chemistry) so feel free to PM me any questions

ReputationRep:
    Durham University Business school is a 10 minute pleasant walk into town. Down road turn left and go past Trevelyan and St Mary's turn right down Potter's Bank. go slightly left and through white gates onto river bank paths and into town. In town Indoor Market is excellent and often not explored by students. Marks and Spencer with food, Tesco next door and another smaller one up North Road. Cheap fruit and Veg shop up there too. Small Iceland and Sainsbury. Opposite Union a convenience store. Arnison Centre about 2 miles out of town has big Sainsbury and loads of shops-bus from Bus Station up North Road.. To east of City up Gilesgate way huge Tesco etc. Langley Moor to the west has Lidl and Tesco. Need the bigger city 10 min on the train. to Newcastle and about 45 min to York. Durham is small and best walked -you can see green fields in the right direction from the centre. You will not starve and people are very friendly. Loads and loads of coffee shops now too. Fear not and enjoy!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.