Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, it's my very first post on these forums

I would like to study Natural Sciences with focus on Biology at the Open University. I have Polish Maturity Exam (something alike A-levels) with extended biology and chemistry, I was also attending a science class in my high school.

I always wanted to be a molecular biologist - is that possible with this kind of degree? I would like to have some experience with laboratory techniques and stuff like that, you know, this whole experimental biology. I am afraid that the course does not cover that and thus I will be jobless and have difficulties applying for master studies.

Also, how does exams look? Do I have to go to Londyn? I am asking bacause I am residing in Poland and planes to Londyn could be quite expensive (we Polish people are generally poor).

Thanks in advance for all the responces
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Have a look at the course structure to get an idea of what will be taught and maybe look for something more appropriate for what you want to do later. You will have some practical and face-to-face work to do so maybe think about whether you can actually afford to do this course or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaworu)
    Hi, it's my very first post on these forums

I would like to study Natural Sciences with focus on Biology at the Open University. I have Polish Maturity Exam (something alike A-levels) with extended biology and chemistry, I was also attending a science class in my high school.

I always wanted to be a molecular biologist - is that possible with this kind of degree? I would like to have some experience with laboratory techniques and stuff like that, you know, this whole experimental biology. I am afraid that the course does not cover that and thus I will be jobless and have difficulties applying for master studies.

Also, how does exams look? Do I have to go to Londyn? I am asking bacause I am residing in Poland and planes to Londyn could be quite expensive (we Polish people are generally poor).

Thanks in advance for all the responces
    I don't think they have any lab sessions, however I think you have online versions. So you will not learn technical skills.

You have to think like this, its a part time degree (whether you study at a full time rate or not) and the rest of your time you can work full time. Complete a year with OU and apply for low level jobs in laboratories, in Britain such positions normally ask for A-levels or HNC's, these types of jobs will get you lab experience and you will learn technical skills. 1 year of OU could prepare you for this and you will have a lot to talk about in an interview and on CV,

From my experience, employers like taking on people for low level entry positions who are studying a degree part time time.

Masters applications in britain always ask for details on relative job experience as well as degree transcripts, get both and you will be fine.

Its London too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.