Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone experienced marking errors? My son's First Year Results had an unbelievable error (Maths module 17% ... 6% for the exam & 44% for the coursework) this meant his outcome was FAIL & it said he would need to resit Maths. His other module marks ranged from 75% - 100%. Eventually 2 weeks later they agreed there was a mistake & republished the results only for them to be incorrect a second time! Finally .... 3 weeks after Results Day he received his correct results for Maths (82% for the exam, 95% for the course work = 86% for the module) & it was confirmed he passed with a part mark of 85.5%. As you can imagine the stress & anxiety over those 3 weeks was off the scale. There was no support from any lecturers ... and an offer of £100 "goodwill gesture"! He has raised an official complaint so hopefully there will be a proper investigation into how these errors happened and some compensation ... has anyone heard of errors like this happening?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by angrymum)
    Has anyone experienced marking errors? My son's First Year Results had an unbelievable error (Maths module 17% ... 6% for the exam & 44% for the coursework) this meant his outcome was FAIL & it said he would need to resit Maths. His other module marks ranged from 75% - 100%. Eventually 2 weeks later they agreed there was a mistake & republished the results only for them to be incorrect a second time! Finally .... 3 weeks after Results Day he received his correct results for Maths (82% for the exam, 95% for the course work = 86% for the module) & it was confirmed he passed with a part mark of 85.5%. As you can imagine the stress & anxiety over those 3 weeks was off the scale. There was no support from any lecturers ... and an offer of £100 "goodwill gesture"! He has raised an official complaint so hopefully there will be a proper investigation into how these errors happened and some compensation ... has anyone heard of errors like this happening?
    Not to be a Debby downer but, it's only 1st year. I honestly don't see it that much of an issue. I would surely be more sympathetic towards you if these modules or grades actually counted towards his degree classification. But usually, 1st year marks aren't taken into account.

However, it's not unusualy for marks and work to be marked the 2nd and 3rd time during marking and there's often a few more weeks when marks and work are being looked over anyway.

I would recommend you read the unis regulations on marking, assessments and feedback to see if there's anything relating to your problem. It sounds like your son has already got his £100 compensation. What else do you expect the uni to do other than say they're "sorry and we shall hope it never occurs again"? That's like wishing it would never rain. Mistakes happen and to me, the only thing that was lost over this was a couple of hours sleep. Chill out, mum.

If it happens again during 2nd year, keep all the evidence you have now and I would definitely lodge a complaint to the Head of Faculty and Student Union (go to the Education officer or the person who's in charge or student academics).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply but my son's marks are required for his year in industry placement application and thats why he worked so hard to get a first. If this is how it is with everyone treating it as unimportant I guess I just was expecting too much LOL But when you pay £9k a year I thought we would get a better service ... I appreciate mistakes happen ... but taking 3 weeks to resolve and no contact from personal tutor or lecturer was disappointing.

(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Not to be a Debby downer but, it's only 1st year. I honestly don't see it that much of an issue. I would surely be more sympathetic towards you if these modules or grades actually counted towards his degree classification. But usually, 1st year marks aren't taken into account.

However, it's not unusualy for marks and work to be marked the 2nd and 3rd time during marking and there's often a few more weeks when marks and work are being looked over anyway.

I would recommend you read the unis regulations on marking, assessments and feedback to see if there's anything relating to your problem. It sounds like your son has already got his £100 compensation. What else do you expect the uni to do other than say they're "sorry and we shall hope it never occurs again"? That's like wishing it would never rain. Mistakes happen and to me, the only thing that was lost over this was a couple of hours sleep. Chill out, mum.

If it happens again during 2nd year, keep all the evidence you have now and I would definitely lodge a complaint to the Head of Faculty and Student Union (go to the Education officer or the person who's in charge or student academics).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    In the nicest possible way I think you need a bit of a change in thinking/attitude if you're going to rest easy for the rest of your son's time at uni.
    First off, it's his degree so he really should be dealing with this on his own. Unfortunately this is how life works sometimes.
    3 weeks isn't very long at all. While students are away we're often busy doing research, attending meetings or on holiday. We're people too! Your son wouldn't have missed out on his industrial placement year because there is usually a placement officer who looks after students going on placements and would have sorted this out for him. There's plenty of time if he's in his first year.
    Mistakes do happen with marks when you have loads of stuff to mark and are reliant on other people to collate and communicate them to students.
    Finally you may want to reconsider throwing about the terms '£9000 fees' and 'service' when dealing with the uni. There's a lot that goes in behind the scenes that students don't know much about or see.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.