Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I will be starting a PA course in September and am hoping to start buying some books for the course now. If you have found a book particularly useful please let me know.Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey Charlotte

I'm 8 months into my first year in my PA course and my advice is, don't buy many books now. You will find the ones that will be most helpful after you start and get a grasp of what do you need to know.
    However, if you still want to have a read about what you will be learning, this is the ones I consider indispensable:

- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine.
    - Top 100 Drugs
    - Mind maps for Medical students
    - Medicine at a Glance
    - ECG interpretation made incredibly easy

Additionally you will need a good Pathophysiology and Anatomy/Physiology book, but I think these are better chosen by the person since they vary and everyone has different priorities.
    Good luck with your course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_vicente)
    Hey Charlotte

I'm 8 months into my first year in my PA course and my advice is, don't buy many books now. You will find the ones that will be most helpful after you start and get a grasp of what do you need to know.
    However, if you still want to have a read about what you will be learning, this is the ones I consider indispensable:

- Top 100 Drugs
    - Medicine at a Glance

Additionally you will need a good Pathophysiology and Anatomy/Physiology book, but I think these are better chosen by the person since they vary and everyone has different priorities.

Thats great, thank you! I will hold off buying them until I start (unless I see any cheap ones on Ebay!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_vicente)
    Hey Charlotte

- Top 100 Drugs
    - Medicine at a Glance

Hey, I'm starting PA at swaneea in a few weeks and I'm just wondering if you found 'mind maps for medical students' useful? I'm thinking abouy getting it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would ask your uni it varies between unis, but we were supposed to buy Kumar and clarks clinical medicine and clinical diagnosis, data interpretation for medical students by who knows what, oxford handbook of clinical medicine as j Vicente said, pharmacology, clinical examination, but you can probably get them from the library.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just finishing my first year. The most useful book I have is Davidson's essentials of medicine (handbook). It is concise, portable, practical easy to read and is pitched at the level of newly qualified junior doctors which is much closer to our level. It also has useful sections such as one that outlines the most common drugs and one in interpreting the most common investigations.

Don't worry about pharmacology for now. Before your placements I would focus on just the mechanism, key side effects and main contraindications. Don't devote too much time to them as they will become ingrained when you see them over and over again on placement. Also don't worry about doses and timings as you will be expected to use the bnf a lot and it has a free app for your phone.

The problem with the course isn't learning to little, it's learning too much for our level. So I wouldn't recommend Kumar and Clarke. Its only utility for me has been as a door stop for my room.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, what/how much work experience did you guys have when applying to PA? I'm planning on applying for Sept 2018

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.