Sweden(Stockholm,Gothenburg)+Den mark(Copenhagen,Ar hus) in Sept. Watch

UglyDuckling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
How many days do you think one would need in order to discover and visit the places of interest in Sweden? Or in particular Stockholm ?

I might go other places like Gothenburg and Malmo. Any suggestion? Or perhaps I should move to Copenhagen in Denmark..

Advices are most welcome..
digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Amazing choice, Stockholm in the summer is heaven...and Swedish girls are all what they are cracked up to be! If you get out of Stockholm to the smaller cities, beautiful surroundings and houses as well. Maybe 4-5 days I would say?
nota bene
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not able to give good advice I'm afraid, since I've never been a tourist in Sweden:p: - just lived here more or less my whole life... Anyway if you have any specific questions I may be able to answer (I'm in Stockholm right now, working there)
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by nota bene)
I'm not able to give good advice I'm afraid, since I've never been a tourist in Sweden:p: - just lived here more or less my whole life... Anyway if you have any specific questions I may be able to answer (I'm in Stockholm right now, working there)
May I know how convenient is the transport from Stockholm to Copenhagen and Oslo? It seems like a long short on the map since Stockholm is like on the far east.
What about getting to Malmo and Gothenburg?
If you can, I would like to know the approximate price.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would say 10 days. It took my Dad and I around 15 days to really discover the main sites in Sweden. Bear in mind, it's not that small.
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
May I know which sites of Sweden? Stockholm ??
How many places did you go?
Iron_Duke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I believe you can reach Copenhagen easily by rail from Sweden.
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
Oh, is it a high speed rail?

I'm always having the impression that Sweden is very advanced in technology. I would expect a bullet train
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
Also, from Copenhagen, it's very hard to get cheap flights back to England.
I need to be back before the term starts .. i.e. around October 1st or 2nd.

Thanks for input guys..
Iron_Duke
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
With SAS you could fly one way from Copenhagen to Heathrow for £47

https://bookings.flysas.com/sasinter...rwardAction.do
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
Cheers ..
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
Are Gothenburg and Malmo worth visiting ?
PinkStar08
Report 11 years ago
Yes, Gothenburg is definitely, I used to live there, the beaches are really nice and there are some lakes that you can walk around. There is also lots to do in the city.
Jump
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm also thinking of going to Sweden before term starts but am a bit cautious because I've heard its very expensive. I've been to Oslo, how do prices compare with there?
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
Cheaper than Oslo. Oslo is definitely more expensive.. and in fact the most expensive among the four scandinavian countries. Oslo is rank no.3 in the terms of living expenses out of 76 cities who took part in UBS survey, below Zurich and Geneva.
ukgea
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by psycho)
May I know how convenient is the transport from Stockholm to Copenhagen and Oslo? It seems like a long short on the map since Stockholm is like on the far east.
What about getting to Malmo and Gothenburg?
If you can, I would like to know the approximate price.
Stockholm - Copenhagen by train (approx 5 hours) Prices fluctuate a lot depending on when you buy your tickets, and what time the departure is, but you should be able to get there on around SEK 400 I'd say. Assuming you 25 years of age or younger.

Stockholm - Copenhagen by plane (approx 1 hour) Again prices fluctuate a lot, but I think you're looking at something around SEK 500 - 800. Then you need to add the cost of going back and forth from the airports (Copenhagen-Kastrup airport is quite close to the city I think, but Stockholm-Arlanda is 30 km or so away)

Stockholm - Oslo by train: The railway connections aren't so good in the general Oslo direction, and the departures are scarce; it will probably take 6 hours or so, and you'll pay around SEK 300 - 400.

Stockholm - Oslo by plane (again, approx 1 hour) you might get away with SEK 500.

For airplanes, try SAS www.sas.se or FlyNordic www.flynordic.com. In my experience, FlyNordic tends to be cheaper (but have somewhat fewer departures). Try to book well in advance!

For trains, book through SJ www.sj.se

Malmö and Gothenburg are both easily accesible by both train and airplane. With the high-speed train X2000 (which tends to be more expensive) it's about 5 hours to Malmö and 3 hours to Gothenburg, otherwise it's more like 8 hours to Malmö and 5 hours to Gothenburg. AFAIK, SAS, FlyNordic, and Malmö Aviation www.malmoaviation.se all fly to Gothenburg and Malmö from Stockholm.

Gothenburg is definitely worth visiting. Never been to Malmö myself. :P
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I went to Malmo and it's quite a boring place. There's a church you can visit which is nice, and some nice gardens, and some shops, but that really is it. I personally woulnd't bother. Or, if you do go to malmo, don't spend more than two days there, and on one of your days, get the train up to Lund (it doesn't take very long). It's a small university town, little cobbled streets and all that malakry - might be worth a visit
Osmosis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you take a train from Stockholm to Copenhagen, I imagine you'll pass through Malmö anyhow. So you can make it a brief stop, if you want.

Copenhagen is really worth a visit, if you have the time/money. It's a lovely city.
tinypony
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by steerpike)
I went to Malmo and it's quite a boring place. There's a church you can visit which is nice, and some nice gardens, and some shops, but that really is it. I personally woulnd't bother. Or, if you do go to malmo, don't spend more than two days there, and on one of your days, get the train up to Lund (it doesn't take very long). It's a small university town, little cobbled streets and all that malakry - might be worth a visit
Lund is definitely worth the visit. In the summer it is a really cosy town to be in, lots of young people and shops etc.
The highlight has to be the extremely cheap kebab which you can get around the corner
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
cheers for the input guys.. especially ukgea who quote all the price, which pretty works as a guideline.

Ok. So no Malmo, go to Lund instead. Do I need to book early for bus/train ticket? Or buying it on the spot?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (282)
45.05%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (188)
30.03%
I don't have an opinion (156)
24.92%

Watched Threads