Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, i recently started going gym in order to build some muscle, but in that weights area there are people with massive muscles and i dont feel like going there and just stick to cardio (which im already good at...) and a bit of lat pulldown and leg press. I've tried going at times when there should be less people but even then, there are a few people there.... Halp me overcome my fear of being judged!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123chem)
    So, i recently started going gym in order to build some muscle, but in that weights area there are people with massive muscles and i dont feel like going there and just stick to cardio (which im already good at...) and a bit of lat pulldown and leg press. I've tried going at times when there should be less people but even then, there are a few people there.... Halp me overcome my fear of being judged!!
    Don't be intimidated by all the gorillas in the gym. They're harmless. You might even get sone useful advice from the experienced guys. Honestly, nobody gives a crap about you. If anything when you're a gym noob you're invisible.

Doing some research and going in with a plan is the best thing you can do. Do some research on the Starting Strength program. IMO it's the best no messing about program for noobs. Getting the basics down (squats, bench press, deadlifts, etc). There's even a good Starting Strength app out there (i've used it and it's very useful).

Don't do too much cardio. It might not be helping you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    Don't be intimidated by all the gorillas in the gym. They're harmless. You might even get sone useful advice from the experienced guys. Honestly, nobody gives a crap about you. If anything when you're a gym noob you're invisible.

Doing some research and going in with a plan is the best thing you can do. Do some research on the Starting Strength program. IMO it's the best no messing about program for noobs. Getting the basics down (squats, bench press, deadlifts, etc). There's even a good Starting Strength app out there (i've used it and it's very useful).

Don't do too much cardio. It might not be helping you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I gotta do my cardio cause i also play field hockey competitively. I'll definitely look at the program and app! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about others, everyone has to start somewhere, if people see you there regularly trying to make a change they will respect you. Everyone is on a journey to reach a goal.

I go 5 days a week and split my routine like this.

Monday - Chest/Legs (Bench press, Fly's, Incline dumbbell press/ Squats, Calf press)
    Tuesday - Back/Biceps (Deadlifts, Bent over rows, T bar rows, Pull ups/ Barbell curls, Hammer curls)
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Legs/Triceps (Skull crushers, Tricep extensions, Dips)
    Friday - Chest/Biceps
    Saturday - Shoulders/Traps (Overhead press, Lateral raises, Facepull/ Shrugs, Farmers walk)
    Sunday - Rest

The best exercises for each muscle group are outlined in brackets.

You also gotta realise that the most important factor is nutrition. If you don't eat right then there is no point in going, literally. Count your calories and try to start off with 2500, then raise it to 3000, for protein aim for about 100g. Buy mass gainers of a site called myprotien.com (used it for ages and is really cheap). Foods like rice, eggs, nuts, milk, pasta are all really good for bulking, try not to over do it on saturated fat and salt though.Good luck on your journey and stay consistent, we are all gonna make it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123chem)
    We all started in the same place as you. Nobody really gives a crap about another person unless they're excessively grunting, hogging a bench, don't put the weights back in the right place, use the squat rack to chat or curl and finally people who aren't there to lift/do cardio.

If you're there and you're lifting small weights but with good form, no one will say a word and will probably help you out if your form is off. Welcome to the gym community!

ReputationRep:
    What weights/excercises should i be starting from?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.