Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

As part of my university course we are required to go on a trip for 3 weeks to immerse ourselves fully in the language we are studying. I'm a first year student heading into second, my fellow colleagues/peers are lovely, but I feel as though they are all in cliques because they know each other (many of them went to high school together). I feel like the odd one out and I want to enjoy myself on this trip but I'm afraid I won't fit in.

Any advice on how to enjoy myself and get along with everyone, without feeling left out? I know this may seem like a high school dilemma but I've been worried about this for a while and as a result have convinced myself that I don't want to go when I actually want to.

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, PinkOwls! It seems to me that you are an introverted person and I know exactly how you feel. Perhaps you could pay attention on what they are interested in, what they talk about the most (besides high school memories, of course) and try to participate on their conversations to get closer to them and not be feeling left out on this trip. Sometimes you just start a conversation with one person and this person brings you to the whole group after a certain level of friendship, which is so much fun! If this doesn’t work, remember that you don’t need anyone to make you happy except for yourself! And after all this, you might want to take something that makes you happy on the trip, like a really good book for example and the most important thing, don’t give up on your trip! This is such an incredible opportunity and you can create a lot of great memories! Life is an adventure and this is just your first year at the Uni! Maybe this trip is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for to get closer to your classmates! Don't worry, after a couple of years you’ll probably laugh at this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PinkOwls)
    Hey,

As part of my university course we are required to go on a trip for 3 weeks to immerse ourselves fully in the language we are studying. I'm a first year student heading into second, my fellow colleagues/peers are lovely, but I feel as though they are all in cliques because they know each other (many of them went to high school together). I feel like the odd one out and I want to enjoy myself on this trip but I'm afraid I won't fit in.

Any advice on how to enjoy myself and get along with everyone, without feeling left out? I know this may seem like a high school dilemma but I've been worried about this for a while and as a result have convinced myself that I don't want to go when I actually want to.

Thank you!!
    Hello

It doesn't sound like a high school dilemma, it's actually an extremely common university student dilemma. There always seems to be a group that gets on well and makes others feel left out - obviously, the majority of the time this isn't intentional.

I'd suggest just attempt to talk to them - ask them if they'd like to grab a drink or do some shopping for your trip - things along those lines etc.
    Just be friendly and approachable and don't be disheartened if they say no, just have ago and see what happens.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much for your fantastic advice! I feel much more confident about going on this trip now. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes, thanks again!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.