Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am feeling really depressed lately when i think about my future. I am currently at AS moving into A2 and i am studying Art and double btec media. I know these arent the greatest a level choices but i really had no choice. My gcse grades were really bad because my family were putting pressure on me and eventually fell really stressed and just messed up. I wanted to take a level maths instead of double media but i had only achieved a C. Now i am really unsure where inam going to head next. My dad has continuously said throughout the year that i have stupid a levels and that i am a thicko and now i am starting to believe it and i am sinking rven lower. My cousins are excelling in their studies getting As without breaking a sweat. I really feel like i have let down my parents and that they are ashamed of me. My mum even said why am i not my cousin, whuch really makes me depressed. Now i am confused and dont know what tondo with my life. I know is can get pretty good grades in these but they are easy subjects and i am never going to have a good career. Any advicd would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents, quite frankly, are being unnecessarily dickish. If you can do well in your A Levels, regardless of what they are, you can usually get a place on your chosen university course. And from there, a degree. That's an alright start to life as far as i can see.

Ignore your parents as best you can, since they're talking absolute ****. Did they do A Levels successfully? Or even GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCal)
    Your parents, quite frankly, are being unnecessarily dickish. If you can do well in your A Levels, regardless of what they are, you can usually get a place on your chosen university course. And from there, a degree. That's an alright start to life as far as i can see.

Ignore your parents as best you can, since they're talking absolute ****. Did they do A Levels successfully? Or even GCSEs?
    My dad has done his gcses and his a levels to a pretty high standard, achieving As and Bs. However, the other main problem is that im not sure what to do with my life now. I have dug myself a hole and im not sure how to get out. Most of my degree choices are either useless or require certain gcses and a levels to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faz1999)
    My dad has done his gcses and his a levels to a pretty high standard, achieving As and Bs.
    Then he should know the stress A Levels can cause, and not be a **** about them. If you can get high grades in your subjects, go for it. Don't pay attention to those who only seek to criticise.

You could try to enter one of your courses through Clearing, which is usually lenient with needed subjects or grades (depending on the uni).

And if all else fails, try working your way up in the world of young employment.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Don't worry about your parents or there comparisons, when it comes down to it you are you, regardless of grades and what a levels you're doing it doesn't matter at the moment, if you work hard in what you're doing than there is little problem at the moment.

About the future though, no matter how good your a levels are the future is complicated, I don't know about what to do in the future either, and am doing the a levels I want. Just darn down, you might find something you really love over the next year and decide you want to do that, at the moment though, enjoy your summer. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimrahk123)
    Hi,
    Don't worry about your parents or there comparisons, when it comes down to it you are you, regardless of grades and what a levels you're doing it doesn't matter at the moment, if you work hard in what you're doing than there is little problem at the moment.

About the future though, no matter how good your a levels are the future is complicated, I don't know about what to do in the future either, and am doing the a levels I want. Just darn down, you might find something you really love over the next year and decide you want to do that, at the moment though, enjoy your summer. X
    Thank yu very much and i will try my best to enjoy it without much stress.

ReputationRep:
    I am feeling really depressed lately when i think about my future. I am currently at AS moving into A2 and i am studying Art and double btec media. I know these arent the greatest a level choices but i really had no choice. My gcse grades were really bad because my family were putting pressure on me and eventually fell really stressed and just messed up. I wanted to take a level maths instead of double media but i had only achieved a C. Now i am really unsure where inam going to head next. My dad has continuously said throughout the year that i have stupid a levels and that i am a thicko and now i am starting to believe it and i am sinking rven lower. My cousins are excelling in their studies getting As without breaking a sweat. I really feel like i have let down my parents and that they are ashamed of me. My mum even said why am i not my cousin, whuch really makes me depressed. Now i am confused and dont know what tondo with my life. I know is can get pretty good grades in these but they are easy subjects and i am never going to have a good career. Any advicd would be much appreciated.
    You should have done an apprenticeship instead. There a lot more straight forward and practical, then ****ing around for years on end with AS, then A levels, then university, then the debt that comes with it, then not finding a job placement because your degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. Sorry buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Let me open by being honest - yes they are not the best of A levels to do - but they are still qualifications and they count.

You are still young and you have plenty of time on your side. My advice to you would be:

1. Carry on doing these exams and do well in them.
    2. Either get a job next year or go to a sixth from college and do a couple of GCSEs/A levels in a year
    3. Wait until around 21 and do an access to uni course to do the course of your choice.

There is nothing like a short time in the wilderness to make you focussed ( I did a year working in ASDA - it sharpened me up no end)

Parents can be a pain in the rear end at times - but at least you are thinking about the future and want to make changes - good luck*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaCenturion)
    You should have done an apprenticeship instead. There a lot more straight forward and practical, then ****ing around for years on end with AS, then A levels, then university, then the debt that comes with it, then not finding a job placement because your degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. Sorry buddy.
    Author.. Ignore this punk. He has no qualifications and hates anyone aspiring to do anything with their lives

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.