Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been sent 3 seperate student loan statements, all with different amounts on (weird). All of the maintenance loan statements are less money than last year, and it says that I will not be recieving any grant this year, even though my parents financial status has not changed since then. (I already get quite a low loan because my parents income is quite high but they really cant afford to help me, as it is both me and my sister at uni, plus my mom is out of work after a major operation, and there is worry about them losing the house) I have now recieved a letter saying that i need to pay back my grant from last year as i was over payed!!??? I'm really not sure what to do as this loan wont even cover my rent and ive just recently lost my job and am already in an overdraft. Any advice would be helpful as im completely lost for what to do.. thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The maintenance grant was scrapped starting this year so that'll explain that part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    The maintenance grant was scrapped starting this year so that'll explain that part
    Not really - it was only scrapped for new starters this year. Anyone getting it last year should continue to get it - unless their financial circumstances change - for the rest of their course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wayleighxo)
    I have been sent 3 seperate student loan statements, all with different amounts on (weird). All of the maintenance loan statements are less money than last year, and it says that I will not be recieving any grant this year, even though my parents financial status has not changed since then. (I already get quite a low loan because my parents income is quite high but they really cant afford to help me, as it is both me and my sister at uni, plus my mom is out of work after a major operation, and there is worry about them losing the house) I have now recieved a letter saying that i need to pay back my grant from last year as i was over payed!!??? I'm really not sure what to do as this loan wont even cover my rent and ive just recently lost my job and am already in an overdraft. Any advice would be helpful as im completely lost for what to do.. thanks
    You aren't supposed to get a grant if your parents have quite a high income. That suggests that you were given it incorrectly last year and you will have to repay it. Have you checked that the info your parents gave SF was the same as appears in their tax records? They're cross-checked. If your parents declared less to SF than their tax records show, that would explain rhe discrepancy.

If your current household income has dropped by more than 15%, then you can apply to be assessed on their current year's income instead of last year's. However if SF think your parents tried to pull a fast one last year, they might not permit it.

You need to phone SF and ask them why your support has changed so drastically, then you can figure out what to do about it.*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.