Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently holding uncond. offers from uni of leeds & manchester for bsc accounting & finance and bsc accounting respectively. Quite confused as to which uni is better because leeds is ranked higher in UK while manchester is more well known in the international region.Which is preferably better in terms of job prospects or seeking for a placement year in one of the big 4 companies? Anyone have similar encounters/advice? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvvy96)
    I'm currently holding uncond. offers from uni of leeds & manchester for bsc accounting & finance and bsc accounting respectively. Quite confused as to which uni is better because leeds is ranked higher in UK while manchester is more well known in the international region.Which is preferably better in terms of job prospects or seeking for a placement year in one of the big 4 companies? Anyone have similar encounters/advice? Thanks in advance!
    They're both marketed as 'RG' unis so I don't think it'll make much of a difference either way re job prospects. From speaking to friends going into the big 4, a few of the firms now run 'blind' applications so persons from any uni can apply, some have done away with UCAS requirements and apparently some will also take people with a 2.2.

Thus my advice would be to choose bw the two based on which course/city etc you prefer rather than focus on which uni may have once given you greater access to the job market.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you but I've heard Manchester business school is far more superior than Leeds! Will this put me at an disadvantage in the future? I plan to not only work in the UK but also abroad so is it important?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvvy96)
    Ah thank you but I've heard Manchester business school is far more superior than Leeds! Will this put me at an disadvantage in the future? I plan to not only work in the UK but also abroad so is it important?
    Is it superior at the undergraduate level? That's something you need to establish. I don't really know about the international job market, but if Manchester does have a better standing, and it's course is greater than or equal to Leeds' offering, I'd go with Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be don't worry about the rankings of the university on tables, they are more so a very rough guide. Most employers won't care as they are both highly regarded and russel group unis. As long as you get a 2:1 You'll be crusing! Focus on which city you think you will enjoy more!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with manchester. More exposure internationally, and what matters is how you make the best out of your time studying there: getting good grades, creating network, and taking chances.

tl;dr both are RG, don't bother about the rank

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.