Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i dont wanna be a donar coz i think im selfish and i dunno why its just that i wanna keep my organs plus dont like the idea of them being taken out.
    i dont wanna be selfish but cant help it. also, some donations will go to ppl who have purposly not looked after themselves ie smokers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    i dont wanna be a donar coz i think im selfish and i dunno why its just that i wanna keep my organs plus dont like the idea of them being taken out.
    i dont wanna be selfish but cant help it. also, some donations will go to ppl who have purposly not looked after themselves ie smokers
    So all smokers should go to an early grave? Why not donate for the sake of the children who will be without parents?

It is selfish, and you can help it. What difference will it make to you when you're dead? None at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob666)
    So all smokers should go to an early grave? Why not donate for the sake of the children who will be without parents?

It is selfish, and you can help it. What difference will it make to you when you're dead? None at all.
    I think that's a bit harsh, people have a right to make their own decisions. I understand their point completely. Some people just don't want to be cut up! I will donate my organs, but that doesnt mean that everyone else has to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I think that's a bit harsh, people have a right to make their own decisions. I understand their point completely. Some people just don't want to be cut up! I will donate my organs, but that doesnt mean that everyone else has to.
    If she had a good reason, then fair enough - it's not compulsory. But she was saying "I don't want to be selfish" - don't be selfish then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob666)

smokers have a choice, they get the pleasure of smoking but have to face the consequences. also id rather die than recieve an organ as the thought of being cut up and stuff is nasty

ReputationRep:
    I'm one and I find the excuses people give not to be one quite small when compared with the opportunity to save lives.

(Original post by clairestar87)
    is anyone else one?
    Personally, I think that organ donation upon death should be a given. You're probably not going to need them, are you?

ReputationRep:
    i think organ donation is a great idea because, as it has been said, why would you need your organs when you die? I think its great because in a way you are living again through someone else.

Is it true that it may become compulsary for peoples organs to be removed after they die? I dunno where I heard it (it was a while ago) but what do people think of that idea?

ReputationRep:
    im not, dont think i will be either

ReputationRep:
    I'm a organ donor, but ScaryFairy why do you dig up old threads? This is from July...

ReputationRep:
    It saves starting a new thread fro something for which there is a thread about!

Organ donation is important - as is blood donation. Anyone in the south/south west, I beg you to give blood tomorrow or monday. Especially if you live near Oxford - as the NBS issues dept in Oxford supplied Royal Berks hospital, or in Bristol 'cos the Oxford Centre get their red blood cells and plasma for redistribution from Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    It saves starting a new thread fro something for which there is a thread about!

Organ donation is important - as is blood donation. Anyone in the south/south west, I beg you to give blood tomorrow or monday. Especially if you live near Oxford - as the NBS issues dept in Oxford supplied Royal Berks hospital, or in Bristol 'cos the Oxford Centre get their red blood cells and plasma for redistribution from Bristol.
    Can you donate blood if you're on medication and/or asthmatic?

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to give blood. I can't though, it's really frustrating. I don't know anyone else that wants to actually give blood and I'm the only one that can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    It depends on the medication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Depends on the medication and the severity of your asthma - go to www.blood.co.uk for an idea, using their can I donate questionaire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Depends on the medication and the severity of your asthma - go to www.blood.co.uk for an idea, using their can I donate questionaire
    I get stopped in my tracks on the "are you taking any medication one."

Ah well, might go down to where they run it, next time they're taking donations. I guess they'll be able to tell me for certain.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them stating what medication I was on and what dosage. They replied rapidly with the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    I'm one too!:-) did you tick the box to give away all your organs or just some of them? I went for all, although my friend refused to have her cornea's donated because the thought of it makes her cringe! (not that she would be alive to cringe, but there you go )
    Hehe i haven't sent my thing in yet but when i filled it in i did wonder about corneas cos it made me cringe - but then i though about all the people hwo need them and was like hmmm i'm a scientist - let's me logical!

ReputationRep:
    woow! i think, its really brave of all you guys that are organ donors...i dont think id have the guts to become one, i find it rather weird although i guess i wouldn t fell any thing seeing as i wouldnt be alive....strange!
    any how, i'd like to be a blood donor (regular if possible)...but my friend was saying something abouy not being able to give blood if your under 7 stones.....and then my mum said it would make me put on weigh...is there any truth in any of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone)
    woow! i think, its really brave of all you guys that are organ donors...i dont think id have the guts to become one, i find it rather weird although i guess i wouldn t fell any thing seeing as i wouldnt be alive....strange!
    any how, i'd like to be a blood donor (regular if possible)...but my friend was saying something abouy not being able to give blood if your under 7 stones.....and then my mum said it would make me put on weigh...is there any truth in any of this?
    Yes - the lower limit is 7 stone 10 pounds - below this, the postulation is that your metabolism wil be significantly lower and you will be putting your own well being on the line donating blood. however, if you're just 'one of those people' you can usually work something out...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.