The Student Room Group

Graduate employment seeker

Hi everyone. I am a fresh graduate who completed Bachelor's degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering in India. Currently, I live in the UK and am in search of a graduate job. The problem is I do not have any work experience. I need to kick start my career but there has been no luck yet. Anyone in the same boat? I would be really grateful if anyone can share ideas or similar experiences to tackle this situation...
Reply 1
Try doing volunteering while you're trying to find a job. Volunteering gives you experience even if you don't get paid. Even low level job like customer service is good experience because you show you can work in teams, can be trusted and such
Reply 2
Thank you for your suggestion.
Reply 3
also will this benefit engineering. I mean companies keep asking relevant experience in engineering sector?
Reply 4
You'd have to get engineering volunteering positions for that. Thing is, you need to start somewhere. Find a customer service or a similar position at a place that deals with engineering. You won't get exact engineering experience but you will have experience working in the right environment. Having that experience leads to better jobs
Do you have the right to work in the UK?
If not, it will be extra hard I'm afraid as a fresh graduate with no experience.
Reply 6
oh yes I do have the right to work in the UK
Original post by Charmcastor
oh yes I do have the right to work in the UK

Fab.

In that case, I would look for an engineering internship with a local or small firm (can cold-call or cold-email them but be prepared to impress!).
Stick with it no matter how long it takes, and get a part-time job (bar work, supermarket etc) in the mean time.

It is unlikely that you would be offered a grad job without engineering experience (and with a degree from a less well-known university in a foreign country) so I wouldn't waste your time applying for those.
Reply 8
thank you
Reply 9
how can i get help to find small companies offering engineering internships
Original post by Charmcastor
how can i get help to find small companies offering engineering internships

You can't, you have to manage your own career. Google, Yellow pages, Thompsons Local Directory, Dentons etc. Do your own research, find companies, make appointments, go talk to them, network, make contacts, be clear about your skills...
Reply 11
I just asked coz i am new here. After all as you said i have to manage my career. anyway thanks for the tips
Reply 12
Create a LinkedIn profile if you don't have one yet. If you can out on enough stuff, someone may offer you a related job. You can also try recruitment companies, they will refer you to vacancies that they think may apply to you
Reply 13
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending