Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let a be an irrational number. Show that f: Q to Q is continuous, where
    f(x) = x ......if x<a
    ........ x+1 ..if x>a

Not really sure here, my idea is to maybe consider subsets S of Q, show f^-1 (S) is always closed (or open), maybe using the fact that an arbitrary union of closed sets is closed (not sure this works though as Q is infinite, or does the fact that Q is countably infinite make it work?)

Or should I be looking to use the epsilon- delta definition (if so does it matter which metric I equip Q with)?

Things with rationals and irrationals are not my fav, any help appreciated xx

Gregorius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    Let a be an irrational number. Show that f: Q to Q is continuous, where
    f(x) = x if x<a
    x+1 if x>a

Not really sure here, my idea is to maybe consider subsets S of Q, show f^-1 (S) is always closed (or open), maybe using the fact that an arbitrary union of closed sets is closed (not sure this works though as Q is infinite, or does the fact that Q is countably infinite make it work?)

Or should I be looking to use the epsilon- delta definition (if so does it matter which metric I equip Q with)?

Things with rationals and irrationals are not my fav, any help appreciated xx

Gregorius
    Im not sure why that would be continuous as imagine we have chosen the largest fraction  p/q &lt; a . If we add 1 to it, we have  \dfrac{p+q}{q} &gt; a . But by our assumption of p/q is smallest fraction less than a,  \dfrac{p+1}{q} &gt;a suggesting there are other rationals in the interval  [\dfrac{p+1}{q} ,\dfrac{p+q}{q}] which we have missed out iff  q \not= 1 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Im not sure why that would be continuous as imagine we have chosen the largest fraction  p/q &lt; a . If we add 1 to it, we have  \dfrac{p+q}{q} &gt; a . But by our assumption of p/q is smallest fraction less than a,  \dfrac{p+1}{q} &gt;a suggesting there are other rationals in the interval  [\dfrac{p+1}{q} ,\dfrac{p+q}{q}] which we have missed out iff  q \not= 1 .
    Yeah i thought that adding 1 would be too big of a jump when i first read the question but it says its continuous

its question 8 here for reference https://www0.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/f...22/Metric1.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    Yeah i thought that adding 1 would be too big of a jump when i first read the question but it says its continuous
    hmm strange. do you have a link to the original question?

ReputationRep:
    hmm strange. do you have a link to the original question?
    yeah edited the post above

Let x \in \mathbb{Q}.
    Suppose that x &lt; a, then f(x) = x. Then since f is continuous, for all \varepsilon &gt; 0, there exists \delta &gt; 0 such that for all c \in \mathbb{Q} with |x - c| &lt; \delta, we have that |x - c| &lt; \varepsilon.
    Let \eta := \min(\varepsilon, a - x) &gt; 0, then for all c \in \mathbb{Q} with |x - c| &lt; \eta,
     |f(x) - f(c)| = |x - c| &lt; \varepsilon,
    hence f is continuous for x &lt; a

A similar argument gives f continuous for x &gt; a. The key here is to note a \notin \mathbb{Q}, so the discontinuity that would occur in the reals never occurs in the rationals. The c \in \mathbb{Q} part of the proof is the single most important thing when proving any sort of continuity, especially when you move away from the real numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex:)
    I think I understand your argument but how does that f(x) = x+1 ..if x>a affect it rather than f(x)=x?. Are we saying that the 'gap' caused by the x+1 and x doesnt effect the continuity? I understand that each segment for x<a and x>a is continuous separately but not sure why it is all together.

I think I understand your argument but how does that f(x) = x+1 ..if x>a affect it rather than f(x)=x?. Are we saying that the 'gap' caused by the x+1 and x doesnt effect the continuity? I understand that each segment for x<a and x>a is continuous separately but not sure why it is all together.
    I realise it's quite unintuitive, but the gap that exists at a is at an irrational point. Just like how if we're proving continuity on [a,b] \subset \mathbb{R} and we don't have to consider anything below a or above b; we're proving continuity on \mathbb{Q} \subset \mathbb{R}, so we don't consider any irrational numbers in the domain.

The function is well defined and we can approach a as close as we wish, but we never reach it, and hence never reach the discontinuity that is in the irrationals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex:)
    I realise it's quite unintuitive, but the gap that exists at a is at an irrational point. Just like how if we're proving continuity on [a,b] \subset \mathbb{R} and we don't have to consider anything below a or above b; we're proving continuity on \mathbb{Q} \subset \mathbb{R}, so we don't consider any irrational numbers in the domain.

The function is well defined and we can approach a as close as we wish, but we never reach it, and hence never reach the discontinuity that is in the irrationals.
    edit: nvm I was misreading the thing and thinking the domain was the range hence my confusion!
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.