Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong to enter a relationship without the thought of getting married? Watch

I asked this question to a bunch of people at Uni, and they were astounded that I don't enter a new relationship thinking that I'll marry my partner(!?)

What happened to relationships being just that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Not at all. I personally would only get in a relationship if I thought it could go somewhere though. But everyone is different, some people never want to marry, it doesn't mean they should never be in a relationship, as long as their partner understands that is the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Changing Skies)
    Not at all. I personally would only get in a relationship if I thought it could go somewhere though. But everyone is different, some people never want to marry, it doesn't mean they should never be in a relationship as long as their partner understands that is the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hoping the relationship will "go somewhere" is different to wanting it to lead to marriage, right?

I mean of course I won't consider dating a girl who I don't see it going anywhere, that'd be stupid and I would keep it at a FWB level at the very most.

But I don't go into relationships thinking "Yeah, I'm definitely going to marry her". That's moronic.

ReputationRep:
    No. Although I much prefer long term relationships, I don't have the idea of marriage, that's something that will become more of a natural decision to make further on down the road as opposed to a pre-planned event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I asked this question to a bunch of people at Uni, and they were astounded that I don't enter a new relationship thinking that I'll marry my partner(!?)

im a girl and u are right, as u can just have a relationship with someone like date them without really having really to think about marrying them

ReputationRep:
    Rather than marriage it's more.. Do you actually want to be with this person and this person only? Obviously if both of you make it clear you don't want to get married before it gets serious then it's fine. But in my opinion, seeing long term with them is key.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Not at start no, maybe later on.

ReputationRep:
    No way! I'd be scared right off if a girl I just got together with was thinking about marrying me. What's wrong with getting to know the person and experiencing how the relationship progresses first before even considering marriage?

ReputationRep:
    I would get into a relationship without planning to marry them someday
    as some people like the concept others don't, not to mention that I would want to find someone who was right to have a family with someone similar to me you know driven, aspirational and goal orientated

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even think about it til a long way down the line.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.