Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does 'student' mean to you? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who would you consider to be a 'student'?
    People who are at uni
    14.74%
    Those in either sixth form or uni
    23.67%
    GCSE, A-level or uni people
    19.40%
    Those doing any kind of study
    42.19%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Interested to see what people think of when they hear the word 'student'. It's a word that has a lot of connotations with university, but would you also consider GCSE and/or A-level pupils to be students?

When I see 'student' I think of someone at uni, half drunk and poor

ReputationRep:
    I would consider them students yes, but when I hear/see the word I immediately think of University students, and I'm not sure why

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Interested to see what people think of when they hear the word 'student'. It's a word that has a lot of connotations with university, but would you also consider GCSE and/or A-level pupils to be students?
    I sort of think of the word "student" as being more appropriate for GCSE/A Level.

If somebody would ask me something such as 'What do you do?' (in relevance to work, etc), I wouldn't directly say 'I am a student' but instead something like 'I am at university'. I just find it strange to use 'student' as a profession when you're past 18.

I've explained it poo-ily but here's an example of a pal:
    A pal o mine works as a baker whilst at university, but when I heard her being asked what she did, she only said that she was a student. I think that's the wrong answer; she is a god-damn baker now.

someone with a debt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Student is a synonym(the same as) a learner. When I think of a student, I think of someone practising a certain hobby/subject.

To answer your question, yes they would, that's why theSTUDENTroom, has GCSE and A-Level sections for study help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what context really. Sometimes you can say that you're a student of a school - be it college, University, secondary school. But I guess when it comes to discounts it's sixth form and/or University generally.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone studying is a student in my opinion. But I do instantly think of university students as they have the associated "student lifestyle" that other students (e.g. those at school or doing an apprenticeship) do not have - i.e. living generally with a group of people on not much money away from parents, etc.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Some schools call their learners students, as well as pupils.

To me student probably originates from the word study? Which would suggest to me that anyone could be a student. To use an example from everyday expression: someone 'studying an article', is that person a student? I personally think that they are a student, but only a student of that article.

For a person to identify as a student, that it is part of their identity in some way, for me means that they do it on a full-time basis, or that it is their main occupation.

ReputationRep:
    If I hear the word 'student' I would always assume it's referring to university students, and I would only really use it to describe uni students. However, I would understand if a sixth-former described themselves as a student (probably less so at GCSE).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What about Pre-U, BTEC, IB etc. ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    When I think 'student', I think anyone who is studying outside of compulsory education. That being said, I would totally understand those who are studying at any level calling themselves students. That's what they are.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the context. I would consider anyone at school/uni to be a student, but I associate the word with uni students more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.