Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for a course through clearing at the same university I hold an offer from. Last year before exams started my father passed away and that did have an affect on my performance causing me to get BCC. I already planned on taking a gap year as soon as the funeral was over so I withdrew my UCAS application for the 2015 cycle.

I re-sat the subjects I got CC in this year, but I wanted to know if it would be wise to fill out a clearing enquiry form and try my luck, or wait until results day to see if the course is still in clearing and apply then.

I applied for Geography at Reading but would really like to do Italian and Economics.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by antoniamontana)
    I want to apply for a course through clearing at the same university I hold an offer from. Last year before exams started my father passed away and that did have an affect on my performance causing me to get BCC. I already planned on taking a gap year as soon as the funeral was over so I withdrew my UCAS application for the 2015 cycle.

I re-sat the subjects I got CC in this year, but I wanted to know if it would be wise to fill out a clearing enquiry form and try my luck, or wait until results day to see if the course is still in clearing and apply then.

I applied for Geography at Reading but would really like to do Italian and Economics.
    Hey,

Sounds like you've had a really tough time of it, but sounds like you're doing all the right things

Clearing lists are on the UCAS website and Italian and Economics looks like it's available. Typical offer is ABB-BBB. Are those the grades you're aiming for?

I would call Reading now, explain your situation and explain that you're interested in another course ahead of results day. See what they say.

I'm assuming your firm is Reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Hey,

Sounds like you've had a really tough time of it, but sounds like you're doing all the right things

Clearing lists are on the UCAS website and Italian and Economics looks like it's available. Typical offer is ABB-BBB. Are those the grades you're aiming for?

I would call Reading now, explain your situation and explain that you're interested in another course ahead of results day. I'm assuming that your firm is Reading.
    Hi,

I'm aiming for BBB, however, I think I might end up with BBC because I struggled with timing on one of my Geography papers.

My firm is Reading, I'm nervous because I don't want to seem flaky and end up probaby missing my place or them striking me off in Geography because I was enquiring about another course. But I do think the Italian and Economic course fits me better, they're asking for BBB but I'm hoping they can be a bit lenient.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi,

I'm aiming for BBB, however, I think I might end up with BBC because I struggled with timing on one of my Geography papers.

My firm is Reading, I'm nervous because I don't want to seem flaky and end up probaby missing my place or them striking me off in Geography because I was enquiring about another course. But I do think the Italian and Economic course fits me better, they're asking for BBB but I'm hoping they can be a bit lenient.
    If your reasons for changing courses are really clear then they won't think you're flakey. I'd write down exactly why the course appeals to you and why it's a better fit for you now so that you feel prepared.

Also you've had a year to re-think this and uni is a big investment so you want to get this right. They can't strike you off doing the geography course unless you miss your offer. The uni would rather you took a course you liked and completed than continue with geography and drop out after a year.

Did you take Italian A-level? What was your grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    If your reasons for changing courses are really clear then they won't think you're flakey. I'd write down exactly why the course appeals to you and why it's a better fit for you now so that you feel prepared.

Also you've had a year to re-think this and uni is a big investment so you want to get this right. They can't strike you off doing the geography course unless you miss your offer. The uni would rather you took a course you liked and completed than continue with geography and drop out after a year.

Did you take Italian A-level? What was your grade?
    I didn't take Italian at A-level but this course would start Italian from the beginner level so it wasn't a requirement, which is why it appeals to me so much. I did take Spanish at IGCSE and got an A.

I'm going to send a clearing enquiry form, I called admissions and they suggested I do that, though the lady didn't really listen to everything I was saying and did rush me off of the phone a bit. I hope I'm doing the right thing.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I didn't take Italian at A-level but this course would start Italian from the beginner level so it wasn't a requirement, which is why it appeals to me so much. I did take Spanish at IGCSE and got an A.

I'm going to send a clearing enquiry form, I called admissions and they suggested I do that, though the lady didn't really listen to everything I was saying and did rush me off of the phone a bit. I hope I'm doing the right thing.
    Well done for calling

Just explain really succinctly in the form why you are drawn to the course and make sure you let them know that you have a place already for Geography. Good luck!

In my opinion spending £50k on doing a course you don't really want to do would be the wrong thing to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.