Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rant. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, sorry just need to vent.

I bought my train ticket and got on the train as usual. Naturally got off my stop and then threw away my ticket (why not, I had arrived at where I needed to be). Then got questioned by the guard as to where my ticket was and got a 'on the spot' fine.

I sent letters and emails to the appeals company and they just got back to me saying it has been declined even with a copy of my bank statement showing the payment and CCTV PROOF of my payment, yet I still get fined.

Surely this is unfair?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why would you throw your ticket away when you got off the train? Some stations have barriers so it makes sense to keep your ticket just in case.

If you were still within the station you have every right to be questioned. And policy is that failure to show a ticket when asked results in a fine. You failed to show a ticket so the fine was justified.

Did you actually have CCTV proof? You can't just go and get CCTV proof of something so they'd have to pull that up from the station. That probably isn't worth the time involved unless the fine was fairly hefty. If you could prove that you clearly had the ticket then no, it isn't really fair. But life isn't fair. Deal with it and move on. You were ultimately in the wrong here for not being able to present a ticket. Next time keep hold of your ticket until you're outside the station.

ReputationRep:
    Any way you bought a ticket to another station?? Otherwise, I'd agree that it's grossly unfair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Why would you throw your ticket away when you got off the train? Some stations have barriers so it makes sense to keep your ticket just in case.

If you were still within the station you have every right to be questioned. And policy is that failure to show a ticket when asked results in a fine. You failed to show a ticket so the fine was justified.

Did you actually have CCTV proof? You can't just go and get CCTV proof of something so they'd have to pull that up from the station. That probably isn't worth the time involved unless the fine was fairly hefty. If you could prove that you clearly had the ticket then no, it isn't really fair. But life isn't fair. Deal with it and move on. You were ultimately in the wrong here for not being able to present a ticket. Next time keep hold of your ticket until you're outside the station.
    ^ After reading this actually I can see the story from a business company's perspective. Rules are rules, I guess, and if you did breach them then they can fine you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

There was no barrier at this stop and usually no guard, he just randomly stopped me. I understand from the guards point of view, but when making an appeal to see time and date of a ticket being purchased and then they can access to CCTV and even check then. The train fare was £3, so you can at least agree that I shouldn't have to pay a £3 train fare and then £20 on top for not having it in my hands and even showing EVIDENCE of payment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LDS16)
    ^ After reading this actually I can see the story from a business company's perspective. Rules are rules, I guess, and if you did breach them then they can fine you.
    It somewhat sucks that we have this mentality of rules are rules. Did the OP break the rules? Yes, they didn't present a ticket. Therefore fine them.

But really why is there a fine? Because not having a ticket suggests they traveled without paying. This could well be a case of the train company in question blindly following their system (no ticket = fine) rather than actually thinking about why these rules are in place. Of course at the same time it's difficult to prove without reasonable doubt that you had the ticket. A bank statement might show you purchased a ticket, but it doesn't necessarily say where to or from. They could think you brought a ticket to an earlier station and kept on travelling. It's super stupid and super difficult to prove properly.

There's probably a lot more details to this than we know. We don't know what the OP presented as evidence (maybe the claims team thought the evidence was faked, it's not difficult to mock up a bank statement). It's very difficult to decide who was right and wrong without being there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I'm all for seeing things in other peoples perspective but this is just greedy. I can obviously afford to pay for both, but it feels unfair that people are train hopping everyday, yet I get a fine after they've seen I've paid for my ticket.

What is the point in making an appeal when I have done everything I can to provide evidence in my favour. Clearly they are going to say no to rob you of your money.

In short, the system is corrupt.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm trying to think of a more reppelent type of person than a ticket inspector -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    It somewhat sucks that we have this mentality of rules are rules. Did the OP break the rules? Yes, they didn't present a ticket. Therefore fine them.

But really why is there a fine? Because not having a ticket suggests they traveled without paying. This could well be a case of the train company in question blindly following their system (no ticket = fine) rather than actually thinking about why these rules are in place. Of course at the same time it's difficult to prove without reasonable doubt that you had the ticket. A bank statement might show you purchased a ticket, but it doesn't necessarily say where to or from. They could think you brought a ticket to an earlier station and kept on travelling. It's super stupid and super difficult to prove properly.

There's probably a lot more details to this than we know. We don't know what the OP presented as evidence (maybe the claims team thought the evidence was faked, it's not difficult to mock up a bank statement). It's very difficult to decide who was right and wrong without being there.
    I suppose I'm starting to understand a bit more from your post, but it doesn't take long to do the research from their point of view. Given that it was in no way a big fine or train ticket price, I don't agree that just because they are a large company they can slap the 'fine' stamp on whatever they please, and you have to agree due to needing their services to get to your job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I'm trying to think of a more reppelent type of person than a ticket inspector -.-
    People that make judgements seem to be generally quite miserable unfortunately (e.g, driving instructors, test examiners)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WishfulThinker1)
    There was no barrier at this stop and usually no guard, he just randomly stopped me. I understand from the guards point of view, but when making an appeal to see time and date of a ticket being purchased and then they can access to CCTV and even check then. The train fare was £3, so you can at least agree that I shouldn't have to pay a £3 train fare and then £20 on top for not having it in my hands and even showing EVIDENCE of payment.
    Thing is from their point of view is it actually worth accessing CCTV to check? It's suck a small price and they'd have to spend time retrieving, accessing and finding the relevant CCTV as well as examining it to prove nothing else happened. From their perspective that isn't really worth the time or effort.

There's dozens of bs excuses they could throw at you (you being at fault for binning the ticket, maybe the evidence was for another ticket purchased that day and so on) as to why the evidence might not prove it.

I completely agree, you shouldn't have to pay the £20 fine if you proved you had the ticket. But as far as their concerned you broke their rules. They could turn round and drop some rubbish about how the £20 fine is for breaking the rules (not presenting a ticket) rather than not having one.

Yes, it is super unfair and you shouldn't have had to pay it. But ultimately life isn't fair and this sort of stuff happens. If it bothers you take it further and lodge a complaint with head office.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    they are a large company they can slap the 'fine' stamp on whatever they please, and you have to agree due to needing their services to get to your job.
    I think the opposite is true. Train companies basically run a monopoly. There are multiple train companies covering different parts of the country but they aren't in competition. Regardless of the size of the company they basically have it all to themselves. They can do what they want precisely because they have a monopoly. They know that even if you aren't happy with it the odds of you boycotting them to use another provider are incredibly low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Thing is from their point of view is it actually worth accessing CCTV to check? It's suck a small price and they'd have to spend time retrieving, accessing and finding the relevant CCTV as well as examining it to prove nothing else happened. From their perspective that isn't really worth the time or effort.

There's dozens of bs excuses they could throw at you (you being at fault for binning the ticket, maybe the evidence was for another ticket purchased that day and so on) as to why the evidence might not prove it.

I completely agree, you shouldn't have to pay the £20 fine if you proved you had the ticket. But as far as their concerned you broke their rules. They could turn round and drop some rubbish about how the £20 fine is for breaking the rules (not presenting a ticket) rather than not having one.

Yes, it is super unfair and you shouldn't have had to pay it. But ultimately life isn't fair and this sort of stuff happens. If it bothers you take it further and lodge a complaint with head office.
    Thanks for this, I suppose it's what I needed to hear!

Rant over, payment made (they're always welcome to return the money upon realising)

Thanks for putting up with my unfortunate rage, all!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for this, I suppose it's what I needed to hear!

Rant over, payment made (they're always welcome to return the money upon realising)

Thanks for putting up with my unfortunate rage, all!
    It's really frustrating when stuff like this happens. Luckily life goes on. It could have been a lot worse and if nothing else you've learnt a lesson to keep hold of your ticket

If of course you did want to take it further a strongly worded letter to head office might get you a response. Doesn't hurt to try and it's in their best interest to give you a little extra to pay you back for the mistake. Or they might turn round and tell you to sod off. But never hurts to try.

ReputationRep:
    The system is heavily flawed and absurbidly Selfish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.