Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted your opinions on this.
    I've spent the past 6 months blundering about for work experience, the hospital require me to go thru school which gives priority to 6th formers [I was in year 11 when I asked] so hopefully in September I'll get onto that; and the nursing homes are very closed private ones where the only job I could find was sewing and repairs not even in the nursing home! But I keep checking back.
    So, in the mean time, I have been offered some work experience at the local newspaper office, I've spent 2 weeks there before when my school placed me there; it's not just a coffee job either, I actually get to write the stories, call people about stories, go out on location to chat with people, work with the police; so it's a placement entirely about communication, which I figure is a big part of medicine?
    So, is it worth the time while I wait for more experience in caring environments?

Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    You've just finished Year 11, I wouldn't worry too much about not having 'medical' work experience sorted yet. Your work experience still sounds quite useful - communication skills, interaction etc.; however you definitely need to get some medical work experience at some point in year 12!

My work experience at the end of year 11 was at an advertising agency, but I got 3 weeks total of work experience at my local hospital and at a GP's surgery in the easter of Year 12.

ReputationRep:
    It won't make much difference to your application, simply because you've already done it before, so can already write about it in your PS in terms of communication skills etc. 3 weeks is not much different to 2, particularly as it's non-medical experience.
    However, it sounds like fun, and if you don't have anything else planned then why not?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Furthermore, Having work experience in places OTHER than those allied to medicine has its advantages too. The main one being that you can show you explored other career paths before deciding on medicine. Therefore it should strengthen your application rather than hinder it. Best of luck

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.