Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm set to start an Access to Science course and to then apply for Optom 2017.

Problem is not many uni's offer it, and the ones that do either:
    Do a 4 year MOptom course (which I don't want to do, the 3 year bsc allows you go leave uni after 3rd year and start work while doing further exams on the job to become qualified, much better than gaining more debt with a 4th year at uni which results in the same outcome)

Don't accept Access to HE

Require additional GCSE's which I don't have (e.g. Maths grade B or Double Science, I have math GCSE at C and Science D)

Which means I could only realistically apply to Plymouth if I want to begin university in 2017, which is a risky plan due to the fact that I may not get a place, as Plymouth is the only one which doesn't require additional GCSE's.
    I do plan to secure work experience to help my application, but is this plan too risky to do? Its the only course i'm massively interested in, and if i go for other courses my personal statement would have to be really vague, lowering my chances of getting into Plymouth.
    I've called all the other uni's to make sure, and they won't even consider me in clearing if I lack a science GCSE and/or maths at grade B, so my only hope if I want to start in 2017 is Plymouth
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALittleLost25)
    I'm set to start an Access to Science course and to then apply for Optom 2017.

Problem is not many uni's offer it, and the ones that do either:
    Do a 4 year MOptom course (which I don't want to do, the 3 year bsc allows you go leave uni after 3rd year and start work while doing further exams on the job to become qualified, much better than gaining more debt with a 4th year at uni which results in the same outcome)

Don't accept Access to HE

Require additional GCSE's which I don't have (e.g. Maths grade B or Double Science, I have math GCSE at C and Science D)

Which means I could only realistically apply to Plymouth if I want to begin university in 2017, which is a risky plan due to the fact that I may not get a place, as Plymouth is the only one which doesn't require additional GCSE's.
    I do plan to secure work experience to help my application, but is this plan too risky to do? Its the only course i'm massively interested in, and if i go for other courses my personal statement would have to be really vague, lowering my chances of getting into Plymouth.
    I've called all the other uni's to make sure, and they won't even consider me in clearing if I lack a science GCSE and/or maths at grade B, so my only hope if I want to start in 2017 is Plymouth
    Thanks
    Well, it is risky, but there is no point in applying to universities that won't take you or you don't want to go to either.

ReputationRep:
    If only one uni will accept you with your current/planned qualifications, then you've answered your own question. If you're not able to improve your GCSE grades, then you only have one uni to apply to.

It does risk putting all your eggs in one basket, but from what you've described, the only way to increase your options would be to retake GCSEs.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Pretty much what carnation said, but you are making it difficult and limiting for yourself.
    If none of the others accept access to HE, then thats one thing, but GCSE's you could do yourself.
    Where that would open up more opportunities of places I would like to go then I would do that. Where I was unwilling to make any changes, then you are manouvered into only one Uni who will consider you.

I'd also be thinking about what I would miss out on during a 4 year course. There is an importnat thread on a career in optometry written by someone in the profession and I think is useful reading for anyone esle considering a career. You will need to sue the search function. It was written in the last month.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.