The Student Room Group

Social worker with dizziness

Hi, I'm looking to start applying for a MA in social work in September / October time. I was just wondering can you be a social worker if you suffer from severe dizziness?
Reply 1
Original post by mollyx
Hi, I'm looking to start applying for a MA in social work in September / October time. I was just wondering can you be a social worker if you suffer from severe dizziness?

Is there something specific that triggers it for you? Have you been prescribed any medication for it?

I've had issues with dizziness for a long time now - it hasn't stopped me (that's not to say it hasn't been difficult at times) - but it helped to try and figure out what makes it worse and talk with my doctor about ways to try and ease the symptoms to a point that I could still function (there were times when I had to just lay very still on my side and wait for it to subside). I was given medication which did help with the dizziness but gave me severe headaches - but I know others who have had no issues with it at all and have found it really helped.
Reply 2
Original post by Pixsoul
Is there something specific that triggers it for you? Have you been prescribed any medication for it?

I've had issues with dizziness for a long time now - it hasn't stopped me (that's not to say it hasn't been difficult at times) - but it helped to try and figure out what makes it worse and talk with my doctor about ways to try and ease the symptoms to a point that I could still function (there were times when I had to just lay very still on my side and wait for it to subside). I was given medication which did help with the dizziness but gave me severe headaches - but I know others who have had no issues with it at all and have found it really helped.

There is literally no triggers whatsoever. I always feel like unstable and the doctors are puzzled why aswell. What did you get prescribed? I've been prescribed stemitil but they didn't work atall. Im being referred to a neurologist soon. When you applied to do social work did undertake a medical test on you / question your dizziness?
Reply 3
Original post by mollyx
There is literally no triggers whatsoever. I always feel like unstable and the doctors are puzzled why aswell. What did you get prescribed? I've been prescribed stemitil but they didn't work atall. Im being referred to a neurologist soon. When you applied to do social work did undertake a medical test on you / question your dizziness?

There are so many things it could be that it can be hard to pinpoint a reason.

I was prescribed Buccastem but the headaches were so bad I didn't take them - the dizziness was the better of the two options (and there are some days the dizziness will wipe me out).

Lol the uni lost my health form 3 times - they never spoke to me about it (but to be honest I'm not sure they ever found them).

Hope you get some answers soon so you can find a way to treat / manage it.
Reply 4
Original post by Pixsoul
There are so many things it could be that it can be hard to pinpoint a reason.

I was prescribed Buccastem but the headaches were so bad I didn't take them - the dizziness was the better of the two options (and there are some days the dizziness will wipe me out).

Lol the uni lost my health form 3 times - they never spoke to me about it (but to be honest I'm not sure they ever found them).

Hope you get some answers soon so you can find a way to treat / manage it.

I might have to try them! Are they supposed to stop the dizziness? Are you not in anything now then? Are you coping with bein a social worker?

So do you think I will be capable of becoming a social worker with dizziness?Because that was what I was worried about but it is my dream job! I'm gonna apply for masters in October time!

Thank you for your replies
Reply 5
Original post by mollyx
I might have to try them! Are they supposed to stop the dizziness? Are you not in anything now then? Are you coping with bein a social worker?

So do you think I will be capable of becoming a social worker with dizziness?Because that was what I was worried about but it is my dream job! I'm gonna apply for masters in October time!

Thank you for your replies

Yes, they're the same type of medication you were prescribed.

Not in the sense that I work within the local authority. My main jobs are in the education sector, but I volunteer in a family support role with a local charity.

I think it comes down to how well you think you will be able to cope and manage your symptoms. I don't know how your dizziness affects your day to day life - travelling, studying etc. For me, I know that being stressed, or being somewhere very busy, or where things move past quickly (e.g a busy shopping centre, or in a car) make it worse. I don't avoid them but if I can, I try to allow a little time for my head to "settle" before meeting someone.

Where are you hoping to study?

Quick Reply

Latest