Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter


    I'm new to student room, hi! I've tried looking online for any information, but I'm actually pretty stumped and not entirely sure what to do...

    So, I'm starting university again in September to do mental health nursing and I did a rough estimate on how much I would get for the term. This wouldn't cover my 'potential' rent (I say potential as I literally can't afford anywhere at the moment as I'm working full-time until mid-September where I would be travelling from Sheffield to Manchester).

    The award wouldn't even cover for my basic direct debits (I graduated three years ago in a completely different degree and only had a properly paid job since last year) and I'm actually panicking.

    I feel I can't return to university because I actually cannot afford to go. Any help is appreciated!

    I have applied for student maintenance loan as additional help, but my outgoing, monthly payments are £400 at least and that's without rent and other bill payments.

    Help, please?!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Are you aware that you're exempt from council tax as a full time student? NHS courses are usually longer than non-NHS ones, which means you can get a long course loan. (course must be 30 weeks and 3 days long +)

    You should be able to apply for a student bank account with an interest free overdraft.
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.