The Student Room Group

Would I be able to get into Oxbridge (at a guess) ?

I've always aspired to get into one of these universities when the time comes, but I'm not sure if I'd be able. Could anyone give me any sort of idea? I have chose to do 4 A Levels consisting of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Predicted grades: All A's excluding 1 B and already 2 GCSE's in English Literature/Language
Mock grades (with no revision): 1 A*, 1 A, 3 B's, 2 C's and a D
Please be as honest as you would like, I would prefer a harsher perception which gives me a more realistic view.

Scroll to see replies

no
What course specifically and which one, Oxford or Cambridge?
Original post by hellomynameisr
What course specifically and which one, Oxford or Cambridge?

I'm not completely sure yet on which one, I guess it depends on the most well suited! Definitely something in science, possibly dentistry?
Original post by OliviaBaggaley
I'm not completely sure yet on which one, I guess it depends on the most well suited! Definitely something in science, possibly dentistry?

You can't study Dentistry at either university.

I don't think either of the universities offer dentistry...

If you were to apply for Natural Sciences at Camb then they mostly look at your AS grades but more specifically, your UMS.

Oxford has a stronger emphasis on GCSEs but some science courses (such as physics) require you to do an admissions test and if you do really well, they take they into consideration more over your GCSEs. However, they still play a relatively strong role
Reply 6
no, you would need a high A* percent for oxford to give you an interview. If you do very well at A-level you have a chance with Cambridge
Apply to Oxford or Cambridge because you love your course and because you are truly passionate about a subject that they offer. Don't do it just for the name or reputation. You should try to get the highest grades possible in all of your exams, and then consider applying. Remember that there are lots of other great universities out there as well.
I'm in year 10 and went to an Oxford college on a school visit... They showed us a list of courses and from what I can remember I think they ask for either A* A* A, or maybe it was A* A A. Maybe check their website?

But from your predicted and mock grades I think you could do it. My dad told me that teachers are always a little mean when marking mocks, so that everyone's a bit scared into working harder! And if you got that with no revision then you could definitely get the a level grades you need with revision. I think everyone goes up a grade between mocks and exams anyway. Just work hard!
Oxford, very very unlikely. They focus on GCSEs for some stupid reason.

Cambridge, there is a chance. Make sure you actually do revision for the real thing, and get nothing less than a C. More GCSEs the better, but Cambridge actually has a sensible admissions process that looks at the most recent exams you do (AS). Do excellently in those and you have as good a chance as anyone. Even if you have all A*'s at GCSE and A-levels, you might not get a place. There's a certain amount of luck involved.

What do you want to study at university, OP?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Oxford, very very unlikely. They focus on GCSEs for some stupid reason.

Cambridge, there is a chance. Make sure you actually do revision for the real thing, and get nothing less than a C. More GCSEs the better, but Cambridge actually has a sensible admissions process that looks at the most recent exams you do (AS). Do excellently in those and you have as good a chance as anyone. Even if you have all A*'s at GCSE and A-levels, you might not get a place. There's a certain amount of luck involved.

What do you want to study at university, OP?

I was considering dentistry but I know as a general thing that I want to do something within science
Pick the standard bio, chem, maths plus something to not make you a boring sheep and figure out what you want to study. Right now you're probably better off aiming for the grades and experience for dentistry than grades for Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was considering dentistry but I know as a general thing that I want to do something within science

You've got your work cut out for you, for most science courses Cambridge require A*A*A at A-level, the highest offers in the country. So make sure you work extra hard!

If I'm being very very generous, Oxford should not be looked at seriously with less than 3/4 A*s at GCSE. Cambridge is where you should focus, unless you do better for your real GCSEs, which I suspect you might.

What area of science are you most interested in?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You've got your work cut out for you, for most science courses Cambridge require A*A*A at A-level, the highest offers in the country. So make sure you work extra hard!

If I'm being very very generous, Oxford should not be looked at seriously with less than 3/4 A*s at GCSE. Cambridge is where you should focus, unless you do better for your real GCSEs, which I suspect you might.

What area of science are you most interested in?

I really don't want to brag as I'm not that type of person but I felt 1000% more confident and better in my actual exams! I would say I'm most interested in chemistry if I'm honest.
You have a chance at both Oxford and Cambridge for chemistry. Oxford's chemistry requirement is A*A*A and the course itself is really uncompetitive with 4 applicants per place, so if you meet those grades, you have a really high chance at interview. Likewise at Cambridge for NatSci, it's 5 applicants per place, with an A*A*A offer and an aptitude test.

Honestly, just work hard at your AS levels and I don't see why you couldn't make a competitive application. I mean, my brother got into Oxford engineering with 2A* 5A 3B at GCSE (though he had 3A* 1A at A2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, an Oxford chemist here

I'd say you need to wait and see what your GCSE results are. I think realistically they would have to be better than your mock results to give you a chance.

Chemistry as a subject consistently interviews around 90% of applicants (a very high rate) meaning that if you're enthusiastic and it shines in interview you have a chance.

The best thing to do for now is to work hard and get the best AS results possible.

good luck! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MexicanKeith
Hi, an Oxford chemist here

I'd say you need to wait and see what your GCSE results are. I think realistically they would have to be better than your mock results to give you a chance.

Chemistry as a subject consistently interviews around 90% of applicants (a very high rate) meaning that if you're enthusiastic and it shines in interview you have a chance.

The best think to do for now is to work hard and get the best AS results possible.

good luck! :smile:

Thank you, that's really good to know!
Thank you, that's really good to know!

We endorse MexicanKeith's advice. Please check our posting on the 'Are my grades good enough for Oxford' thread for some general advice relating to GCSEs.

Your four A-level choices are great for Medicine, Chemistry, and Biology and also fine for Physics (though Further Maths is useful for this course). The quartet are likewise great for Natural Sciences at Cambridge.

We would advise doing the best you can and enjoying your first year of A-levels. Summer term is a good time to start thinking about University choices - by then you will have a good idea of what's achievable at A2 and if you decide to go for Oxford, you can come to one of the Open Days (28 June, 29 June, and 15 September in 2017) and start thinking about admissions tests and your personal statement ahead of the deadline for applications in mid-October 2017.
Reply 18
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Oxford's chemistry requirement is A*A*A and the course itself is really uncompetitive with 4 applicants per place

You have a very peculiar idea of what "really uncompetitive" looks like!
Original post by BJack
You have a very peculiar idea of what "really uncompetitive" looks like!

Come on, 4 applicants is nothing. You should see the medicine competition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending