Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, where do I start. My dad is an entrepeneur, which causes him to constantly travel around, therefore I end up switching schools alot. I was attending School A (we can call it that for now so you don't get confused) for 1 year, then moved after Year 10 to School B, where I started all my GCSE's from scratch. Now I've finished my first year doing AS levels (not done well as I wanted ), but I have to move again! However, it's back to School A.

So, here comes the dilemma. I have basically two choices:
    a) Continue with A2 and re-sit the subjects that I haven't done as well in.
    b) Start AS again fresh, and this time I get 5 subjects, which I can tailor better to my key subject (as I was unsure what I wanted to do before).

I really don't know what to do, with A I get to be in classes with people I knew 2 years ago, so I wouldn't really go through the making friends again. Whereas with option B, I wouldn't really know about 80% of the people.

Most importantly, how would either of these look if I was applying to a top Uni? Which would be more favourable?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go to a top uni, PE, Sociology and Business Studies aren't going to look to good if you didn't get As in them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i got predicted 4A 1B, but i don't think im gonna get it =|

Anyways, I was thinking of doing Maths, English lit, business studies (as im doing economics), history and geography. Is that better?

ReputationRep:
    Maths is more useful for Economics than Business Studies. When you say top universities do you mean Oxbridge, LSE etc? They don't really like business studies.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wasn't really considering Oxbridge, till i got my GCSE results. So, now I'm gonna aim for it, see what happens I guess...

Well, I saw on the website they said business studies is recommended for Economics, if you can't take Economics at your school.

ReputationRep:
    The only problem with carrying on the A2 subjects is that they might not be same exam board which means you can't carry them on.

The subjects you plan to do at AS at the new school sound like better options.

Seeing as your having to move to School A, i personally would do the 5 AS, because then you will have the two years to get good grades (unless you have to move again),and you have the AS grades already.

As for unis, you can have your reference mention that you had to move school etc, just so they know why you have so many AS etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj_Partow)
    Yeah, I wasn't really considering Oxbridge, till i got my GCSE results. So, now I'm gonna aim for it, see what happens I guess...

Well, I saw on the website they said business studies is recommended for Economics, if you can't take Economics at your school.
    Who Oxford or Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge.

Haven't even looked at Oxford much yet.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend doing Further Maths instead of one of those subjects if you could.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would recommend option B. The thing is, you won’t know as many people, but when you go to university it’s unlikely you’ll know anyone, and it’s there where you make your real friends for life. Also, you’ve not done as well as you wanted, meaning it would be better to start a fresh.

This time, however, you really should choose your A-Level options carefully as you’re being given another go. Make sure you choose things you’ll enjoy, do well in, and allow you to do what you want to later on and go where you want to.

It won’t matter that you’ll be a year older, and in ten years time no one will care. You’ll think back and agree that you made the right choice (especially if you did a lot better).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys, especially Andrzej S!

ReputationRep:
    BTW LSE don't like Business Studies, forgot to say.

ReputationRep:
    Start again if you think you chose the wrong subjects initially, but first you might want to make sure the unis you're thinking of applying to won't have a problem with it, since you'll be doing your A-levels other 3 years instead of the standard 2. Also remember that you don't need 5 subjects and it won't give you any advantage when you apply to uni over people who took 4, so only do it if you really enjoy all the subjects and you're confident you can cope with the work.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.