Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Impact Of Working One Night-Shift On Health Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am currently working at a video games store, it pays a mere 6.91 per hour.

Starting mid-September, I am going back to college 9 - 6 Monday to Friday. I am looking to work weekends only. If I worked my current job on the weekends I would only earn around the £90 mark (wk).

I recently came across a job working in a care home for night shifts. They are looking for Friday and Saturday night workers hours between 9:15pm - 7:30am (overnigh) and just ONE of these shifts would earn me around £140 (wk).

QUESTIONS:

a) Would working both of these shifts impact my health (only for 6 months)
    b) Would it be more feasible to pull of working ONE of these shifts only? (6 months)
    c) What sleeping strategy can I employ to pull off one of these shifts per week? (and feel the same come monday morning)

Basically, is it possible to do one of these shifts and feel fine by 8am Monday morning? <3

ReputationRep:
    I doubt working one night shift will have much impact at all, particularly if you have a good routine.

Two might, as you would be presumably finishing college on a Friday, going to work until Saturday morning without much of a gap between, staying up 24 hours in the process, and then pretty much doing the reverse on a Sunday (of course you can nap on the Sunday but you can't sleep all day or you won't sleep Monday night and won't be back into a day time routine come Monday morning). You can't really think of the Sunday as a 'day off', so you will basically be doing Mon-Fri at college and then all weekend working. That sounds pretty stressful to me as you won't have any proper solid down time-having had a very full time table at various points at uni, those few hours you can grab here and there are no match for having a proper day off to relax.

How I switch between my night shifts and the rest of the week is to do a normal day before, then get 2-3 hours sleep before heading to work. Then on my last night when I finish in the morning I get a few hours sleep and then go to bed at a normal time in the evening ready to be back in day-time mode the next day. Sometimes I head off to work the first night not having slept, but the absolutely exhausted feeling usually hits me around 4am.

Something to consider though is that it can be a lot harder than you think to sleep properly in the day-napping is fine, but actually trying to get a solid 7 or 8 hours in is surprisingly tricky-noise, light, people who bizarrely assume that if you work nights you must be free all day instead of sleeping: everything conspires to keep you awake and try as you might you can't always shut it all out. How much sleep everyone's had (or how little...) is a favourite night-shift conversation. It can also be a little depressing in the winter when you barely see daylight, but if you were only doing a couple of days a week that's probably not so much of an issue for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    I doubt working one night shift will have much impact at all, particularly if you have a good routine.

Two might, as you would be presumably finishing college on a Friday, going to work until Saturday morning without much of a gap between, staying up 24 hours in the process, and then pretty much doing the reverse on a Sunday (of course you can nap on the Sunday but you can't sleep all day or you won't sleep Monday night and won't be back into a day time routine come Monday morning). You can't really think of the Sunday as a 'day off', so you will basically be doing Mon-Fri at college and then all weekend working. That sounds pretty stressful to me as you won't have any proper solid down time-having had a very full time table at various points at uni, those few hours you can grab here and there are no match for having a proper day off to relax.

How I switch between my night shifts and the rest of the week is to do a normal day before, then get 2-3 hours sleep before heading to work. Then on my last night when I finish in the morning I get a few hours sleep and then go to bed at a normal time in the evening ready to be back in day-time mode the next day. Sometimes I head off to work the first night not having slept, but the absolutely exhausted feeling usually hits me around 4am.

Something to consider though is that it can be a lot harder than you think to sleep properly in the day-napping is fine, but actually trying to get a solid 7 or 8 hours in is surprisingly tricky-noise, light, people who bizarrely assume that if you work nights you must be free all day instead of sleeping: everything conspires to keep you awake and try as you might you can't always shut it all out. How much sleep everyone's had (or how little...) is a favourite night-shift conversation. It can also be a little depressing in the winter when you barely see daylight, but if you were only doing a couple of days a week that's probably not so much of an issue for you.

Thank you for your response - very useful information

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.