Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

will the university actually check the data source by contacting interviewees Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just got email from my school that they wanted me to submit the evidence of my dissertation data source. but I faked 3 of the 12 interviews due to the lack of interviewees...and it is impossible to find another 3 now...Please tell me will the university actually check the data source by contacting interviewees? What should I do...Thank you

ReputationRep:
    They may check, they may not. At the uni I was at I had to keep my recordings of interviews in case they wanted to check. Making them up is not good and you could end up in big trouble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Kateheal)
    Hi, I just got email from my school that they wanted me to submit the evidence of my dissertation data source. but I faked 3 of the 12 interviews due to the lack of interviewees...and it is impossible to find another 3 now...Please tell me will the university actually check the data source by contacting interviewees? What should I do...Thank you
    They might check.

I would suggest admitting up front that you have lost the details for the 3 interviewees. Poor record keeping is less of an issue than faking results.

Next time don't fake results - if you can't get enough interviews then include that in your dissertation with comments on how you might improve recruitment in future studies.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Lol at uni students thinking they can get an easier life by falsifying information for a dissertation. That's beyond crazy!

Either find your 3 real interviewees or hope they don't check but I don't have any sympathy for you. You could also do what PQ said.

Never falsify information, especially in a dissertation. Unis take it very seriously and you could face disciplinary action if caught. Not worth the risk imo

ReputationRep:
    If possible ask friends and family to say they were said interviewees.

ReputationRep:
    God...I feel so gutted, I want to confess...I dont care fail the degree or resub...I just cant cope with it :'(

I am so guilty, but I dont have the courage...I just dont want to see the disappointment on my supervisor's face...

Thank you for all your advice, I shall think twice before I actually do something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateheal)
    God...I feel so gutted, I want to confess...I dont care fail the degree or resub...I just cant cope with it :'(

I am so guilty, but I dont have the courage...I just dont want to see the disappointment on my supervisor's face...

Thank you for all your advice, I shall think twice before I actually do something...
    Take my advice, do what you have to do to get by. Morally, it's not hurting anyone. It's not something you will want to do again anyway.*

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the suggestion to say you've lost the details. If the uni finds out you faked data you will be in huge trouble and probably kicked off your course with no opportunity to resit, it's incredibly serious. You really wouldn't have dropped many marks if you did less interviews and discussed it as a flaw in your discussion section.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.