Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The thought of even having an interview makes me terribly anxious. It's both a group and single interview I really don't want to go! :cry2:

I'm not usually this much of an anxious or nervous person but recently I just can't be around people that I don't know in a pressuring environment. I was dying during the telephone interview bit :afraid:

Advice please
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ring them up and cancel or be unprofessional and dont show up.
    You are obviously going to have this problem in future and the fact you are nervous around people doesnt bode well for working in an office.

On a positive note, they appear to have invited you which means they think you have potential.
    If you prepare then they are far less daunting. It will seem familiar and nothing will surprise you. Bit of googling and reserach should put you right.
    If you get the job then presumably its something you want, which is reason enough to make an effort.

If you are going to deal with rather than give in then you have to go for the reasons of trying to improve your situation.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Ring them up and cancel or be unprofessional and dont show up.
    You are obviously going to have this problem in future and the fact you are nervous around people doesnt bode well for working in an office.

On a positive note, they appear to have invited you which means they think you have potential.
    If you prepare then they are far less daunting. It will seem familiar and nothing will surprise you. Bit of googling and reserach should put you right.
    If you get the job then presumably its something you want, which is reason enough to make an effort.

If you are going to deal with rather than give in then you have to go for the reasons of trying to improve your situation.
    It's not an office job, it's a retail job :cry:

The fact that is a well known department store and not my local H&M is kind of daunting.

I kind of just want the money it's not like it's my dream job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

The fact that is a well known department store and not my local H&M is kind of daunting.

Just go and give it a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Go or dont go, but you have to get control of your anxiety at some stage or it will rule you forever. Ibeing well prepared helps remove a lot of anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    you need to go and give it a go, you can't get out of doing interviews forever and they are always going to be scary

do your preparation and then try not to think about it anymore, try and keep your stress levels down through exercise etc

ReputationRep:
    The thought of even having an interview makes me terribly anxious. It's both a group and single interview I really don't want to go! :cry2:

I'm not usually this much of an anxious or nervous person but recently I just can't be around people that I don't know in a pressuring environment. I was dying during the telephone interview bit :afraid:

Advice please
    I hate interviews too and always in a dilemma whether to go or not but i would not mind if it was a good well paid job like an office job but when it's just retail or other job with low pay i'm not that excited but i have to pretend to be enthusiastic in an interview.
    I always tell myself If i do not go i will regret it because i will always be thinking what if i had got the job? And if i don't get the job at least i know i tried And i tell myself they did me a favour by not choosing me because it was a ****, low paid job anyway and i would be stuck in that job for a long time so now i can concentrate on finding a better job. So i never get upset if i don't get offered a low paid job but some people are devastated or depressed about it.

But it's better to go than not to. You can learn from other people in group interviews even though i hate those the most or if you did not do so well in interviews where you were alone with the employer you can tell yourself you will do better next time. I don't like practising in the mirror or getting friends or family to help me by doing role plays with them so i don't bother practising but it is good to always do research on the company on google and write down a few things like what year they opened their first shop and how many they have, etc.

I was lucky because when your're unemployed the job centre force you to go on work programmes where they make you stand up and do presentations and work in teams and mock interviews. Although i hate all that i had no choice but to do it, i used to refuse to before but then i had to or i could not apply for the job so it did help me in the end because i never get nervous in interviews because of all these mock interview /role play courses, i just don't like having to prepare for interviews

Ask in your local library if they offer free courses for interview techniques or if your still at uni ask there
    Go to lots of different good employment agencies like Reed on the local high street or further away to try to get better paid jobs but not the agencies that only get people jobs filling envelopes but still go to this interview just to see if your offered the job and learn from the experience.

ReputationRep:

Advice please
    I hate interviews too even telephone interviews but it helps to always have your cv in front of you and to write down on paper questions you think employer's will ask you and the answers to those questions. Even 3 months ago when i applied for Trainee Recruitent Consultant the employer contacted me by email writing they want to interview me by skype and they wrote in the email to have answers written down so that i'm prepared but i did not contact them back because there is no way i'm doing any interview by skype but the weird thing is because i did not contact them to agree to the time and day they arranged the skype interview they have sent me an email every week changing the date for my skype interview, you would have thought they would just give up. But for normal face to face interviews i am always in a dilemma whether to go or not but i would not mind if it was a good well paid job like an office job but when it's just retail or other job with low pay i'm not that excited but i have to pretend to be enthusiastic in an interview.

I always tell myself If i do not go i will regret it because i will always be thinking what if i had got the job? And if i don't get the job at least i know i tried And i tell myself they did me a favour by not choosing me because it was a ****, low paid job anyway and i would be stuck in that job for a long time so now i can concentrate on finding a better job. So i never get upset if i don't get offered a low paid job but some people are devastated or depressed about it.

But it's better to go than not to. You can learn from other people in group interviews even though i hate those the most or if you did not do so well in interviews where you were alone with the employer you can tell yourself you will do better next time. I don't like practising in the mirror or getting friends or family to help me by doing role plays with them so i don't bother practising but it is good to always do research on the company on google and write down a few things like what year they opened their first shop and how many they have, etc.

I was lucky because when your're unemployed the job centre force you to go on work programmes where they make you do interview technique courses and stand up and do presentations and work in teams, do role plays and lots of mock interviews. Although i hate all that i had no choice but to do it, i used to refuse to before but then i had to or i could not apply for the jobs so it did help me in the end because i never get nervous in interviews because of all these mock interview /role play courses, i just don't like having to prepare for interviews

Ask in your local library if they offer free courses for interview techniques or if your still at uni ask there
    Go to lots of different good employment agencies like Reed on the local high street or further away to try to get better paid jobs but not the agencies that get people jobs filling envelopes because all their jobs are crap, low paid, zero hour contracts and they never have good jobs earning higher wages but still go to this interview just to see if your offered the job and learn from the experience.

ReputationRep:

Advice please

There was a problem where i thought my first reply was not sent so i sent another one but added a little more things i forgot to write in the first reply

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.