Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm really upset about what happened today and just wanted to speak to someone about it.I've been learning to drive for a while now and very narrowly failed my first test in July (had the perfect drive but for some silly reason I stopped at a green light because the examiner raised his hand to his mouth so I thought I did something wrong and stopped at a red light in front of me that was actually red for those turning right. I was KICKING Myself because that was my only major)Anyway I put that behind myself and begged my dad to pay for another test and driving lessons, he agreed even though he was in a tough position financially. I had my second test booked today and both me and my instructor were almost certain I would pass. For some silly reason I told my instructor my test was booked for 3:49 and because he didn't want to wait he took my to the test centre at literally exactly that time. When we got there the examiner saw us and went back inside.When we spoke to him he said your time slot was 3:39 and he refused to take me on test. I was soooo upset and my instructor was really pissed off. I had to tell my parents I failed my test for another silly mistake because they would've never forgave me for something this careless and would've ranted about it for ages had they found out what I had really done.I know it's only a driving test but I feel really bad for practically wasting my parents hard earned money and not being honest with them and obviously for making myself look like a complete idiot in front of the examiner(s) and for pissing of my instructor.It's just been a horrible day
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Honestly it's not a big deal. We all make silly mistakes. I know someone who's failed their test more than twice and for far more major stuff than you.

Don't let it get to you. Yeah, it sucks but it's not the end of the world. Just make sure you don't do anything stupid next time. Check and double check times, be sure you know exactly what you're doing and so on. You failed. So what? It's no big deal. Next time you'll pass and you'll laugh at the silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Yeah that doesn't sound like a particularly pleasant day and I don't really know how I would have reacted in this particular situation, but what you have to remember is that it is not exactly your fault. Although you might not want to do this, I feel like that you need to tell your parents the truth, maybe they would help you get your money back. Because it's totally not fair him failing you like that? It is not right at all.

ReputationRep:
    That is terrible but don't stress over it. These things happen and I do think it is unfair for the sake of 10 mins. Speak to the driving centre and see if they can give you a refund. Tell your parents the truth,Yes they will be upset but they will good that you are able to talk to them and not keep secrets and lies. Save up your money and try and pay for the next one yourself. Good luck and don't worry too much over it .*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm really upset about what happened today and just wanted to speak to someone about it.I've been learning to drive for a while now and very narrowly failed my first test in July (had the perfect drive but for some silly reason I stopped at a green light because the examiner raised his hand to his mouth so I thought I did something wrong and stopped at a red light in front of me that was actually red for those turning right. I was KICKING Myself because that was my only major)Anyway I put that behind myself and begged my dad to pay for another test and driving lessons, he agreed even though he was in a tough position financially. I had my second test booked today and both me and my instructor were almost certain I would pass. For some silly reason I told my instructor my test was booked for 3:49 and because he didn't want to wait he took my to the test centre at literally exactly that time. When we got there the examiner saw us and went back inside.When we spoke to him he said your time slot was 3:39 and he refused to take me on test. I was soooo upset and my instructor was really pissed off. I had to tell my parents I failed my test for another silly mistake because they would've never forgave me for something this careless and would've ranted about it for ages had they found out what I had really done.I know it's only a driving test but I feel really bad for practically wasting my parents hard earned money and not being honest with them and obviously for making myself look like a complete idiot in front of the examiner(s) and for pissing of my instructor.It's just been a horrible day
    just remember
    :cookie: 's taste good
    here take this one *gives*
    now u feel better :yep:
    I wouldn't worry about it because next time u do it you'll smash it and tbf you're gonna have tons of experience now so
    all the best from me :grouphugs: :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    mistakes happen... getting a time wrong by 10 minutes is a tiny thing and easily done, yeah you should have double and triple checked but it's done now so try not to dwell on it

I would personally tell your parents the truth because I would feel too guilty lying, yeah your dad will be upset but I think lying is worse - perhaps you could get a job and pay for your own lessons/test next time?

(Original post by Acsel)
    Honestly it's not a big deal. We all make silly mistakes. I know someone who's failed their test more than twice and for far more major stuff than you.

Don't let it get to you. Yeah, it sucks but it's not the end of the world. Just make sure you don't do anything stupid next time. Check and double check times, be sure you know exactly what you're doing and so on. You failed. So what? It's no big deal. Next time you'll pass and you'll laugh at the silly mistakes.
    (Original post by cats_and_music)
    Hey Yeah that doesn't sound like a particularly pleasant day and I don't really know how I would have reacted in this particular situation, but what you have to remember is that it is not exactly your fault. Although you might not want to do this, I feel like that you need to tell your parents the truth, maybe they would help you get your money back. Because it's totally not fair him failing you like that? It is not right at all.
    (Original post by Simonthegreat)
    That is terrible but don't stress over it. These things happen and I do think it is unfair for the sake of 10 mins. Speak to the driving centre and see if they can give you a refund. Tell your parents the truth,Yes they will be upset but they will good that you are able to talk to them and not keep secrets and lies. Save up your money and try and pay for the next one yourself. Good luck and don't worry too much over it .*
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    just remember
    :cookie: 's taste good
    here take this one *gives*
    now u feel better :yep:
    I wouldn't worry about it because next time u do it you'll smash it and tbf you're gonna have tons of experience now so
    all the best from me :grouphugs: :jumphug:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    mistakes happen... getting a time wrong by 10 minutes is a tiny thing and easily done, yeah you should have double and triple checked but it's done now so try not to dwell on it

I would personally tell your parents the truth because I would feel too guilty lying, yeah your dad will be upset but I think lying is worse - perhaps you could get a job and pay for your own lessons/test next time?
    Thank you all soo much for your wonderful replies. In terms of moving forward from this I have 2 options and would really appreciate your advice.

The first option would be to give another test at the same centre as before. I've been learning in Cardiff whilst studying there but I don't live in the city. However I am more familiar with the roads and routes.
    The disadvantages of this is that I would need to find an instructor whose willing to take me and pay for more lessons.

The second option I have is to give the test in a centre close to where I live. If I do this then I will book the provisional learners insurance again and take the test in my dads car. For this test centre all the 16 test routes are actually available to access, so I guess I can drive on them with my dad. The main advantage of this is that I can get much more hours on the road for moneys worth and plus it would probably make me a better driver since when I do pass I will most probably be a names driver with my parents so I can drive their cars. The disadvantage of this is that I have taken lessons here but everything seems unfamiliar,

What would you guys advise ?

Thanks soo much in advance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The first option would be to give another test at the same centre as before. I've been learning in Cardiff whilst studying there but I don't live in the city. However I am more familiar with the roads and routes.
    The disadvantages of this is that I would need to find an instructor whose willing to take me and pay for more lessons.
    The second option I have is to give the test in a centre close to where I live. If I do this then I will book the provisional learners insurance again and take the test in my dads car. For this test centre all the 16 test routes are actually available to access, so I guess I can drive on them with my dad. The main advantage of this is that I can get much more hours on the road for moneys worth and plus it would probably make me a better driver since when I do pass I will most probably be a names driver with my parents so I can drive their cars. The disadvantage of this is that I have taken lessons here but everything seems unfamiliar,
    Hmmm
    These seem very 50/50
    If it was me, I would pick the 1st one due to the higher chance of success in passing the test next time
    HOWEVER, it is not me choosing, evidently , therefore you should go with your gut instinct. What will affect you most? Being familiar with roads or money's worth? Are you concerned financially, have you talked to ze parents about this? Ask them for their thoughts as well :ahee:
    But go with what you will feel more prepared with. :yep:
    Cheese XD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you all soo much for your wonderful replies. In terms of moving forward from this I have 2 options and would really appreciate your advice.

What would you guys advise ?

Thanks soo much in advance
    It's a difficult choice and there's benefits to both. Personally I have to agree that the first option sounds better. Instructors can potentially be really picky during a test so being super familiar with the roads is worth it.Do you absolutely need a new instructor? Or will your current instructor still take you on? If so (and you get on with them) stick with them. Taking more lessons is pretty much expected, regardless of whether you use your old teacher or a new one. A new teacher will need longer to gauge where you are though.

Potential third option. If you don't need more lessons and the test centre permits it you can take your test in Cardiff where you're family with a car you own or are insured to drive. I believe I was given this option and didn't have to use my instructors car for my test.

Potential fourth option. Find an instructor who does their tests in the same place as your current instructor. Try to book a lesson with them to let them see how you get on with the intention of booking with them to pass. You may or may not find someone that is willing to let you book with them to pass.

Option 1 is ideal from my point of view but may not be ideal for you. Take a look at your options and see what's best. If the benefits of option 2 are greater for you then take the extra time and money to do it that way.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, don't worry about it.
    My boyfriend's failed his drivers test for apparently "moving too much when looking over his shoulder" and was failed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.