Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, during my GCSE exams during June, a fellow student's uncle passed away in which he boasted that he would get an extra 10% added on to his physics paper result and that he would not need to undertake the coming final further maths paper (there was 2 separate papers) due to the family berievement and that the examiner would just use the mark he got from the paper before. The further maths exams are in two different papers, Pure maths & Mecanics and statistics. I was just wondering if what he was saying is true as it isn't fair at all in my eyes due the difficulty of the subject and that other classmates including myself done a lot of work etc for the subject while he would get an easy pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wammyburger)
    Hi there, during my GCSE exams during June, a fellow student's uncle passed away in which he boasted that he would get an extra 10% added on to his physics paper result and that he would not need to undertake the coming final further maths paper (there was 2 separate papers) due to the family berievement and that the examiner would just use the mark he got from the paper before. The further maths exams are in two different papers, Pure maths & Mecanics and statistics. I was just wondering if what he was saying is true as it isn't fair at all in my eyes due the difficulty of the subject and that other classmates including myself done a lot of work etc for the subject while he would get an easy pass.
    Who cares?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If your uncle died, wouldn't you want more marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    The highest special circumstance gives is 5% I believe, i think they can substitute marks if the death meant missing an exam for a funeral but I m not sure on that. It's a case to case basis and depends on if it's a close relative or not. The exam boards don't tell you what extra % you ve been awarded but it won't have been 10 when the max is 5.

ReputationRep:
    It's called special consideration and applies for bereaving students and people who have serious medical situations. Such as being in ICU or such. Technically it is fair, but the fact that he's showing off comes across that he may be exploiting the situation. I don't know though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fish40)
    If your uncle died, wouldn't you want more marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wouldnt really flaunt and exaggerate an uncle dying in peers' faces and smirking to others saying they got the easy path out. so, no

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt really flaunt and exaggerate an uncle dying in peers' faces and smirking to others saying they got the easy path out. so, no
    People grieve in different ways. Joking about the death giving him extra marks may have been what enabled him to stay at least semi focussed on his exams, or even put together enough to take them at all.
    (obviously I may be being extremely generous but I believe evidence is needed to get special consideration)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEmilyxx)
    It's called special consideration and applies for bereaving students and people who have serious medical situations. Such as being in ICU or such. Technically it is fair, but the fact that he's showing off comes across that he may be exploiting the situation. I don't know though.
    i see what you mean but i dont really think a bereavement like in this example is a way to get an easy pass in the hardest GCSE exam that you can do

ReputationRep:
    Oh he boasted about it, well **** him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays people use excuses like this to gain extra marks..and then boast...which is taking advantage of it - WRONG.!

ReputationRep:
    i see what you mean but i dont really think a bereavement like in this example is a way to get an easy pass in the hardest GCSE exam that you can do
    I guess so. It depends how close he was to his uncle, and whether he was deeply affected by the passing. If he wasn't affected that much, he could be using it as a way to get marks.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.