The Student Room Group

Children's nursing dissertation...

Hi everyone!!

I have just started my third year of children's nursing and I'm starting to think about my dissertation. I have a very vague idea in mind about what I want to do and I am currently researching around it.

Just wondered if anyone could offer me any advice about how they decided on their subject/how they got their research ect.

Thank you ☺️
Original post by Iloveladygagaxo
Hi everyone!!

I have just started my third year of children's nursing and I'm starting to think about my dissertation. I have a very vague idea in mind about what I want to do and I am currently researching around it.

Just wondered if anyone could offer me any advice about how they decided on their subject/how they got their research ect.

Thank you ☺️

Not knowing what your brief for your dissertation is, it's difficult to advise. I did a 4,500 word Service Improvement Project, in relation to patient safety, so not sure what yours is.

My advice would be to choose an area of nursing that you know is well researched and has lots of policy, and that is simple. So don't choose something obscure or complex. My project centered around manual handling (Slip hazards specifically) - of which there is obviously LOADS of policy and research on. A dissertation generally looks at one subject in great detail, so if you choose something very complex you may struggle to go into enough depth while keeping within your word limit.

As for collecting research and info, start asap on this. Brainstorm/list key possible sources. Start searching through those thoroughly, use the reference lists of other articles to scour for anything titled that might sound relevant to you (Even if the original article isn't useful to you!). Use the "control + F" function to search through articles for key words, to save you reading through every journal your initial searches produce.

Hope that helps!
Original post by PaediatricStN
Not knowing what your brief for your dissertation is, it's difficult to advise. I did a 4,500 word Service Improvement Project, in relation to patient safety, so not sure what yours is.

My advice would be to choose an area of nursing that you know is well researched and has lots of policy, and that is simple. So don't choose something obscure or complex. My project centered around manual handling (Slip hazards specifically) - of which there is obviously LOADS of policy and research on. A dissertation generally looks at one subject in great detail, so if you choose something very complex you may struggle to go into enough depth while keeping within your word limit.

As for collecting research and info, start asap on this. Brainstorm/list key possible sources. Start searching through those thoroughly, use the reference lists of other articles to scour for anything titled that might sound relevant to you (Even if the original article isn't useful to you!). Use the "control + F" function to search through articles for key words, to save you reading through every journal your initial searches produce.

Hope that helps!

Hi!!

Thank you so much for the tips - I really appreciate it!

Sorry I should have been more specific - it's a 6,500 word literature review. So we have been told to prepare a question, gather 6-10 articles and critique them against eachother and come to a conclusion and submit recommendations for future practice ect.

I want to work in high dependency when I finish and a few of the areas I am thinking of writing about are focused around this, would you suggest I go in this direction if that is where I want to work when I qualify?

Thanks so much again! Sorry for all the questions :smile:
Original post by Iloveladygagaxo
Hi!!

Thank you so much for the tips - I really appreciate it!

Sorry I should have been more specific - it's a 6,500 word literature review. So we have been told to prepare a question, gather 6-10 articles and critique them against eachother and come to a conclusion and submit recommendations for future practice ect.

I want to work in high dependency when I finish and a few of the areas I am thinking of writing about are focused around this, would you suggest I go in this direction if that is where I want to work when I qualify?

Thanks so much again! Sorry for all the questions :smile:

No worries! Ok great. What topic were you thinking of doing it on? Do you already have a question in mind?

My initial thoughts would be to aim to look at 6 articles in great detail and really showcase your critical thinking and analytical skills. Remember to be critical about your quotes at every appropriate opportunity, and to provide a counter piece of evidence or quote (if possible). This shows that throughout your work you are not taking your research as face value, but thinking beyond it.

If you want to work in High Dependency, then yes doing a topic related to HDU care in your dissertation would be good - certainly something you could mention at future job interviews. That said, don't choose a High Dependency topic over something that would work better, just because it's related to your preferred first job. The likelihood is they won't ask you about your dissertation in any interviews - so you'll only have to bring it up if you want to. (Which you will if it's for a HDU job and that's what you've done your dissertation on!!!). I don't know if you have any HDU experience, but I work on a large (32 bed) acute ward in a tertiary centre, and we have 6 HDU beds, so feel free to run any ideas past me :smile:
We also did a lit review and it was stressed that it had to be nursing related not medical. So you need to ensure that your research papers focus on the nursing perspective.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending