The Student Room Group

Would you be in favour of a universal age of consent?

Poll

What would be your universal age of consent (even if not in favour)

One of those strange things about the EU - there were never moves to harmonize age of consent across Europe. It's much lower than you might think across Europe anyhow - at lot of EU states have 14.

OT - how would you feel about harmonizing the age of majority for all things:

Sex, voting, driving, drinking, smoking, contractual obligations, criminal offences, marriage etc. There are always these arguments "why can I drive/have sex, but not vote?"

Not sure I'm in favour, but I were, I'd put it at 17 with some kind of Romeo & Juliet law for sex down to 15.

Scroll to see replies

No the british people have shown in a democratic vote that we want less interference from the EU not more...
Reply 2
Original post by AlexS101
No the british people have shown in a democratic vote that we want less interference from the EU not more...

This wouldn't be anything to do with the EU - more about harmonising "adulthood" in the UK
I do not really think any age of consent matters. There should only need to be consent, age shouldn't be brought into it.
I have to admit I've never understood why you can do different things legally at different ages; so yeah, I'm in favour of it.
Yes, I think 17 is the right. Alan r and that this should be placed as the globally recognised age of consent.
Reply 6
I think your proposal is a good one. It doesn't make much seems to use 16 for some things and 18 for others. If by Romeo & Juliet you mean having a maximum age gap clause linked to age of consent this is a good idea too. Probably difficult to agree a global rule mind.
Reply 7
Original post by RuWill2001
I do not really think any age of consent matters. There should only need to be consent, age shouldn't be brought into it.

O.o

Really?
Original post by RuWill2001

What? People can be manipulated, not know their mind at a young age. You are virtually advocating paedophilia. Some liberals disturb me...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
What? People can be manipulated, not know their mind at a young age. You are virtually advocating paedophilia. Some liberals disturb me...

If one can prove manipulation then that could be a separate offence and I'm pretty sure it is atm. Oh wait, that's rape!
Original post by TorpidPhil
If one can prove manipulation then that could be a separate offence and I'm pretty sure it is atm. Oh wait, that's rape!

So if it can't be proved rape by physical force or manipulation(and you know full well that can't be proven) than any age person can consent to sex with a grown adult? I don't want to speak to you, thanks.
So if it can't be proved rape by physical force or manipulation(and you know full well that can't be proven) than any age person can consent to sex with a grown adult? I don't want to speak to you, thanks.

If it was so hard to prove we wouldn't have as many guilty rapists would we?

The vast majority of rape offences do not involve someone abusing physical force and or violence to forcefully penetrate.

Not that I particularly enjoy that fact or our rape laws...
Original post by TorpidPhil
If it was so hard to prove we wouldn't have as many guilty rapists would we?

The vast majority of rape offences do not involve someone abusing physical force and or violence to forcefully penetrate.

Not that I particularly enjoy that fact or our rape laws...

You diverted the point, you sick nonce advocate. You believe in no age of consent.
Only a rape law. You are sick. Don't talk to me.
Original post by Trinculo
It's much lower than you might think across Europe anyhow - at lot of EU states have 14.

Then why isn't 14 an option in your poll?
You diverted the point, you sick nonce advocate. You believe in no age of consent.
Only a rape law. You are sick. Don't talk to me.

Stop being so emotive. What is the purpose of an age of consent?

I know ample 22 year olds who should not be having sex because they are so immature and frankly stupid.

And then there are several far more mature 15 year olds that while I do not think should be having sex at such an age, I also think they should not be punished -legally- for having sex. It's too harsh a punishment for something that ultimately isn't a particularly huge deal given that both participants have consented and there is no overt coercion/grooming. Right now two 15 year olds can get on the sex offender's register if they send one another nudes and their mummy doesn't like it, finds out and tells the po-po.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't tell me what to do. That's sod all to do with anything, you're using a veil and a strawman of 'two fifteen year olds', whilst you argue in favour of people well into adulthood having sex with children. You are ill.
Reply 16
Don't tell me what to do. That's sod all to do with anything, you're using a veil and a strawman of 'two fifteen year olds', whilst you argue in favour of people well into adulthood having sex with children. You are ill.

No point wasting your time in arguing with people who think like that.
Reply 17
well that escalated quickly

The age of consent is a whole ban on any person under a certain age having sex regardless of who they have sex with. I oppose legal punishment for children having sex with other children. The age of consent would result in that.

I obviously do not agree with 30 year old men manipulating vulnerable 16 year old girls into sex. That is already legally punished regardless of the laws on age of consent, it's an entirely different matter and it applies whether the young vulnerable girl is 17, 14, 12, 20, whatever.
Original post by Trinculo
One of those strange things about the EU - there were never moves to harmonize age of consent across Europe. It's much lower than you might think across Europe anyhow - at lot of EU states have 14.

OT - how would you feel about harmonizing the age of majority for all things:

Sex, voting, driving, drinking, smoking, contractual obligations, criminal offences, marriage etc. There are always these arguments "why can I drive/have sex, but not vote?"

Not sure I'm in favour, but I were, I'd put it at 17 with some kind of Romeo & Juliet law for sex down to 15.

Why should they vote? What do they know about money and life.

Latest