Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically my boyfriend doesn't drive, which is fine, but I feel pressured to keep picking him up and dropping him off to places. After we have been on a date he asks for a lift home even though it is out of my way in the opposite direction to where I live. He also asks to be picked up when we go for days out, rather than meeting me somewhere closer to where I live. It sounds like I'm being tight or selfish but I just find that a lot of my time is spent doing this. He does have epilepsy and although his go has said that he can drive he said that he chooses not to for safety.

Do any of you have a driving or non driving partner and how do you go about going to places together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically my boyfriend doesn't drive, which is fine, but I feel pressured to keep picking him up and dropping him off to places. After we have been on a date he asks for a lift home even though it is out of my way in the opposite direction to where I live. He also asks to be picked up when we go for days out, rather than meeting me somewhere closer to where I live. It sounds like I'm being tight or selfish but I just find that a lot of my time is spent doing this. He does have epilepsy and although his go has said that he can drive he said that he chooses not to for safety.

Do any of you have a driving or non driving partner and how do you go about going to places together?
    I don't drive
    but then again I have a chauffeur so that works for me so I just tell the driver the GPS and he drives whilst I prepare any final touches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

My other half drives and I'm learning to but have my test soon. And he drives but I do feel bad for not being able to drive just yet (he doesn't know I feel bad ) but when I pass and have a car I'm pretty sure we'll take it in turns, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys, I can't get myself to bring it up with him knowing me I'm more likely to make excuses ie I've not time to pick you up than tell him I'm fed up of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    I don't drive
    but then again I have a chauffeur so that works for me so I just tell the driver the GPS and he drives whilst I prepare any final touches
    Yeah and I won 61m on the lottery mate
    Ok we get it, you're yet another sad troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Yeah and I won 61m on the lottery mate
    Ok we get it, you're yet another sad troll
    my chauffeur is my dad and my Mercedes e220 AMG line is a fine beauty

ReputationRep:
    Does he offer petrol/diesel money?
    Personally I couldn't do all the driving in a relationship, but my manager relies on his husband for lifts.
    I don't think this will change for you if your boyfriend has epilepsy (how would you feel if he had a fit at the wheel and someone died?) so you'll need to decide whether he's worth all the extra driving.

(Original post by DarkMagic)
    Does he offer petrol/diesel money?
    Personally I couldn't do all the driving in a relationship, but my manager relies on his husband for lifts.
    I don't think this will change for you if your boyfriend has epilepsy (how would you feel if he had a fit at the wheel and someone died?) so you'll need to decide whether he's worth all the extra driving.
    No he doesn't offer money. Whats odd is his gp said that he can drive, Ive fainted 6 times in my life and worry a little about it but i keep it in mind and try to be as safe as possible. Though I know epilepsy is different so im not going to say that he should drive. I think its only fair though that he uses public transport more. Im fine with driving sometimes just not all the time. Call me selfish but I kind of think that if someone doesnt drive they should be the one that it mostly affects rather than the one who drives lol.

(Original post by jamesthehustler)
    my chauffeur is my dad and my Mercedes e220 AMG line is a fine beauty
    I want a picture of it with you sat in it, holding a piece of paper with 'TSR - Im not a bullsh*tter' written on it.

ReputationRep:
    He got that gas money though? As long as he pays an amount of the petrol/diesel costs I suppose that's OK. Even then I do feel for you

ReputationRep:
    you need to talk to him about it - it's obviously nice for him to get a lift home and saves him time/money but he needs to remember that it costs you time/money so it would be fair for them to be some compromise... that's not saying you can't drop him off sometimes when it's late/raining or pick him up if you set off early, or choose to help him when you want to - but it's your car and your time so it should be you offering rather than there being an expectation that you do it

I think you really need to think about being clear as this is only going to carry on as you go through your relationship... he needs to think seriously about whether driving is something he can or can't risk, the risk of a fit must be very small as I'm pretty sure you need to be seizure free for multiple years before you can drive, if he hasn't had a seizure for years the chances of him having one, without warning, while driving 20 mins to meet you are not high... if he is choosing not to drive he does need to accept that that will mean putting up with public transport sometimes not relying on someone being his personal chauffeur

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.